MSE News: Debt management firms could be neglecting customers through...

edited 9 December 2016 at 2:44PM in Debt-Free Wannabe
3 replies 1K views
Former_MSE_LucindaFormer_MSE_Lucinda Former MSE
46 Posts
edited 9 December 2016 at 2:44PM in Debt-Free Wannabe
The financial watchdog has raised concerns that debt management companies are not carrying out thorough annual reviews – meaning some customers are not benefiting from repayment plans appropriate to their financial situation...
Read the full story:
'Debt management firms could be neglecting customers through lack of reviews, FCA warns'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• Related - the FCA have been shutting down a ton of fee charging firms. If you were with any of them, don't let them hand you off to another fee paying firm: get thee to a charity!
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    September 2021: £66,490
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    25.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    nkkingston wrote: »
    Related - the FCA have been shutting down a ton of fee charging firms. If you were with any of them, don't let them hand you off to another fee paying firm: get thee to a charity!

Agree 100% !! Don`t pay for a service you don`t need to pay for.

What exactly do we mean by a "Debt Management Plan" anyway ?

Sounds official right ? well wrong actually, all it actually is, is a fancy name for repaying what you owe, at a lesser rate than you normally would be paying, its basically coming to an agreement with your creditors to make a lower monthly payment, than you normally would, based on your own specific budget.

It is something you can do yourself, very easily, think about it, before you got into trouble, you paid all your bills every month yourself didn't you, well this is no different, except you don`t pay as much.

You set your budget, you inform creditors what you can pay them, and when, then you just get on with it, sometimes a creditor wont accept what you offer them, all that will happen is the debt may get sold on, you just keep paying, and let the creditors worry about that.

Some people say they are not confident, or simply cant be bothered to do this themselves, in which case speak to a debt charity such as stepchange or payplan, they will "run" a DMP for you for no charge.

Most formal debt solutions, have fees associated with them, DMP`s do not, any company that charges a fee to administer a DMP is taking advantage of you and should be avoided at all costs.
    Ex Board Guide.
    “A man who pays his bills on time is soon forgotten. - Oscar Wilde"
    “If you owe the bank $100 that’s your problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, that’s the bank’s problem.” -JPMorgan Chase"
    "I don`t trust Bankers, I don`t trust Banks, and I don`t trust you. -Private Frazer"
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • edited 10 December 2016 at 1:00AM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    25.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 10 December 2016 at 1:00AM
    I also feel that fee charging companies just want to get you signed up to there so called service, then tend to ignore you.

Once they have there money, they lose interest in customer service, as long as they still get there 30% cut every month, they are happy.

The solution they have sold you may not always be the right one long term either, if a DMP is going to take many years to pay off, then my opinion is its not suitable, and a more formal solution should at least be looked at.

Debt management companies are usually more concerned with profit than with the customers best interests.

Also bare in mind, private companies go bust every day, lots of DMC's have done just that, taking all their clients money with them, leaving lots of people in even more debt than they were before.

Don't take the risk !!!
    Ex Board Guide.
    “A man who pays his bills on time is soon forgotten. - Oscar Wilde"
    “If you owe the bank $100 that’s your problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, that’s the bank’s problem.” -JPMorgan Chase"
    "I don`t trust Bankers, I don`t trust Banks, and I don`t trust you. -Private Frazer"
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides