MARTIN LEWIS Q&A WITH RISHI SUNAK
Chancellor Rishi Sunak joined Martin for a video Q&A to discuss the cost of living support package that was recently announced - you can watch it HERE

Swann CCTV UPDATE

edited 19 December 2016 at 11:15PM in Techie Stuff
14 replies 3.7K views
2»

Replies

• spud17spud17 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, glad you got it working :D
    Just one of those things.
    All works a treat.
    Sorry, I was not quite correct in an earlier post, it did install an activex component, but referred to it as a plugin.
    I even reset the laptop firewall back to default settings, I did have the prompt re. the firewall when the IE plugin installed.
    I didn't remove the Palemoon plugin, today it just worked.
    Currently up/down ladders pulling cables through outbuildings.
    Last step will be to see if it's accessible from outside the LAN.
    Thanks for help.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • AndyPixAndyPix Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    spud17 wrote: »
    Last step will be to see if it's accessible from outside the LAN.
    Thanks for help.

No problem.
    You will just have to forward a port on your router to the corresponding port on the dvr and it should work fine
  • edited 8 December 2016 at 11:27PM
    spud17spud17 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016 at 11:27PM
    The SwannViewLink app on my cheap Android phone has to be set up on the LAN of the dvr, you need to input a few details e.g. dvr serial number, it then uses P2P to connect.
    It's working fine here, can view all the cameras from my house.
    I also put it on my Cyanogen modded Nook HD, it made it dead easy to do the final camera adjustments with a camera view next to you.

The only way to get the relevant ports to stay open with the (pos) BT HH4, is to put the dvr in the dmz.
    Checked by using http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

I use No-Ip for my own server so I'm familiar with the DDNS process.
    It's recommended to set up DDNS using Swann's own service, the details are then placed into the dvr. http://www.swann.com/us/dvr-ddns-portal
    However I'm getting 'registration error' when I use the 'Test' button on the dvr.
    Perhaps I'm being impatient and it's going to take a while to activate.

Untitled.jpg

I've removed the domain name and ip address!

My preferred option would be to use the router for DDNS, but it only seems to support DynDNS, which now charges $40/yr.
  • spud17spud17 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update.
    Just for info.
    Got this working, more or less.
    I'm surprised the experts on here didn't spot the mistake. :D
    When running the initial set up wizard on the dvr, the http port defaults to 85 for the web control panel.
    This meant I was using 192.168.1.100:85 to view the cameras on the LAN. All fine.
    The dvr was updating the Swann DDNS, but I couldn't use http://xxxx.swandvr.net to view the cameras.
    This was because I hadn't reset the dvr default port from 85 to 80, the cameras stream using port 9000.
    To make things worse, without thinking, I'd opened ports 85 and 9000 on the BT HH4, so no requests could get through.
    I altered the relevant ports from 85 to 80 and now getting WAN access, sometimes.
    For viewing through a browser, the first time a download of either an active-x or a plugin occurs, follow on screen instructions, if the browser is incompatible nothing happens/gets installed.
    There's been no need to put things into Compatibility View or anything.
    It is a bit hit/miss, even with the ones that work, connection is not 100%, possibly due to poor upload at other end?

Windows 10 64bit.
    Works: 32bit Internet Explorer, 64bit Internet Explorer
    Not: 64bit Palemoon, Waterfox, Edge.

Windows 10 32bit.
    Works: Internet Explorer, Palemoon.
    Not: Edge.

Vista/XP: Nothing works
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides