OS Daily Friday 25 November

Replies

• Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one, all the poorlies, I have one here again, the sore throat is back. I have a feeling that his thymus gland is to blame, it is not making white blood cells so his immune system is low.

Jackie, have a lovely weekend, glad the weather has cleared, its a lovely sunny morning, but very brrrrrrr.

Lainey, glad your Mum enjoyed her trip even though she was tired afterwards.

Well OH can hardly speak again, I was going to see my quilting friend but have put it off, do not want OH to give her his germs, shame, I was looking forward to seeing her and havibg a good gossip.

Will tackle the Friday clean, we have lit the fire on most evenings this week, this morning I have turned the thermostats down in the bedroom and bathroom, tripped the heating so the sitting room and kitchen rads are on. Plan to clean out the fire and relay it, will maybe light it tomorrow.

I still do not know the amount of gas we are using, the bill is still not showing on the account which worries me somewhat........

Put OH's weather proof trousers through the washer to rinse off all the mud that was caked on them, they are out on the line dripping.

Neither of us like hot salmon so I am going to cook the salmon this morning and we will have it with potato and mixed veg tonight.
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...I still do not know the amount of gas we are using, the bill is still not showing on the account which worries me somewhat.........

Can you make a note of your meter reading, and read it again the same time in 7 days? That should help - there will probably be a calculator on your gas co website to work out the costs.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇
  • edited 25 November 2016 at 12:28PM
    CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 November 2016 at 12:28PM
    Good morning, almost good afternoon and I am still in bed, tut-tut! Had an interrupted night sleep disturbed by a voucher that was given to DH as a leaving gift, a view from the top of the Shard in London and a super posh cream tea on the 54th floor. Well, I am terrified of heights and eat gluten free and (mostly) sugar free for health reasons.

I said that I was sure DD would be happy to accompany him but he replied he would much rather go with me. I felt really trapped and coerced into saying a reluctant ok and consequently had nightmares, waking up around 4 am in terror. I woke him up and told him in no uncertain terms NO. We looked at the voucher and it might be possible to exchange it for a different experience, we looked up a lovely hotel with three courses evening meal and visit to Bletchley Park, which sounds so much more fun and better value too. We would have to pay an extra 30 quid but well worth it, we both always wanted to go there! He agreed and we went back to sleep, me feeling much more reassured.

I mean, I don't want to come across as ungrateful, but don't people think before they give such an expensive gift? I know a few people who would feel exactly like me. He was not mad at the idea of cream tea anyway, he confessed later, and he can go to the shard anytime he wants, it is only 15 minutes by tube from where we live!

Ok, today plan:

It is Black Friday so for me it is Buy Nothing Day! Planning a special NSD.

Got to get a blood test for thyroid check then it will be a pottering day until 7:30 when we have the usual free yoga class.

The car is still in the garage and we might have it back tonight or Monday, not sure, but in any case the repair is being paid by the guy who bumped it in the car park, not by us.

Food plan: no breakfast yet so lunch will be an eggy brunch, probably with mushrooms and fried onions.

Dinner either split pea or borlotti bean soup with veg, I have both cooked and ready to turn into soup in the fridge.

Hugs to all who need them, in particular to Coxy, Lainey and Hilstep.

Have a good day.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • LameWolfLameWolf Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caterina is it a R£d L£tter Day voucher? If so, they do let you exchange for another experience, if it's not to your taste.:o

Mr LW got given one as part of his retirement present, from his work colleagues - we were more than happy to go on the trip they chose, though, a micro brewery visit and overnight stay at the pub concerned, in Yorkshire.:D

If you do go to Bletchley Park, wave as you pass through MK. :o And I can confirm, it's very interesting; we've been several times.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • edited 25 November 2016 at 1:04PM
    CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 November 2016 at 1:04PM
    Thank you LW, it is a V1rgin experience day. We really hope to exchange it and look forward to going, if it works out we will use it for DH's birthday in February, we go during half term so I don't lose any babysitting.

The brewery trip and pub stay sounds so much more lovely, more human scale! I hate the shard and generally skyscrapers and all the modern muck they are building all over this country. When I first arrived 33 years ago, one of the first things I loved, at first sight, was all the nice old fashioned building in red and yellow brick, now they are all disappearing in favour of those glass and steel monstruosities. Ok, off my soapbox!
  • edited 25 November 2016 at 4:20PM
    LameWolfLameWolf Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 November 2016 at 4:20PM
    I'd have thought they'd let you swap to another experience - they must know that often people will give the experience they'd like to do, rather than try and think what the recipient would actually like.

We wouldn't fancy the Shard, either; Mr LW is terrified of heights; and I can't face the thought of a trip to London! :D

We loved our trip to Yorkshire- the "New Inn" was actually a very old building; they'd converted the old stable block to bedrooms, one of which is disabled-friendly; and they were great about finding us a table to eat our 3-course meal (part of the experience) in peace; the food was excellent too - HM tomato soup made with veggie stock (so often places offer a "vegetable" soup but made with chicken stock, so no use to vegetarians).
    And we got 4 bottles of their ale to bring home with us, too!

Anyways, I'm sure V1rgin will work in much the same way, if you don't fancy the trip you've been given, swap for one you'd like to do. They'd be daft not to offer this, really!

ETA I just found the FAQ section on their website

https://www.virginexperiencedays.co.uk/faq
    Q: Can I exchange my voucher?

A: Yes, you can exchange a valid voucher for an alternative experience.
    In order to exchange, please browse through our experiences on the website and then return the original voucher via trackable mail to us along with a letter clearly stating the name and product code of your chosen experience to:
    Virgin Experience Days
    Acorne PLC
    Stamford House
    Boston Drive
    Bourne End
    Buckinghamshire
    SL8 5YS
    If you select a more expensive experience, you will be asked to pay any difference in price. The new voucher/s that you select will keep the same expiry date as your original voucher. Vouchers can be exchanged to anything on the website except for products on our Excluded List which are marked with a white star.
    Please note that a voucher cannot be exchanged if you have already made a booking with one of our experience providers and cannot be refunded once exchanged.

HTH :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wrote a long post telling you about my rather nice day today and the Internet has eaten it so there we are.
    Love to those who need it and LaineyT I m so glad that you had such a good day with your DM.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    LW thank you! Result! We will be going to Bletchley Park after all, the lady on the customer service phone was lovely and said no problem, she let me do the swap there and then and got the one we wanted. The extra cost was £32.10.

The only (minimal) annoyance was that today I was meant to be on a special NSD due to being Black Friday=Buy Nothing Day (in my books) but what the 'eck, I wanted to get this out of the way sooner rather than later, I hope to sleep well tonight, dreaming of complicated coding LOL!

All is well what ends well.
  • edited 25 November 2016 at 7:01PM
    CafekateCafekate Forumite
    91 Posts
    edited 25 November 2016 at 7:01PM
    CATERINA I too couldn't cope with the Shard apparently some of it has a glass floor !!

Well did my good deed yesterday as my friends washing machine has broken I offered to do a load for her. We then went to another friends for a coffee and catchup.

The saga of my husband's job has reached a climax. Yesterday he was asked to train up a colleague to do the job he's doing now. He didn't answer and is planning to self certificate for the three days he was due to work next week. In fact if he hadn't arranged to bring home my friends son today he wouldnot have gone today either.

Been to town today as needed a prescription. Treated myself to tea and a bite to eat in Waitrose. Got a curry meal deal from Aldi and a bottle of wine for date night.

Hugs to those who want/need them.
  • GersGers Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cafekate - that sounds weird! If your OH is bring made redundant then that means the role is no longer required so there'd be no need to train someone else to do it.

I made it to Glasgow. First half of the journey was in blazing but chilly sunshine, clear blue skies and lots of frozen lochs. I stopped in Inveraray for a bank and the at the Oyster Bar for some goodies for Mum. Once over the Rest there was thick fog all along the entire length of Loch Lomond, couldn't even see the water or the hills behind. Foggy in Glasgow too.

Mum's place overheated as usual so I'm down to summer t-shirts again.

I hope everyone has a good evening.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides