New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

deletedeletedelete

edited 28 December 2016 at 2:28PM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
96 replies 11.3K views

Replies

• edited 7 November 2016 at 9:41AM
    seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 November 2016 at 9:41AM
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Question - would you live in a four bedroom house with four adults and one bathroom?

We lived in a house with five adults and one bathroom for a few months when we came back from Spain, when we moved back into our house and before the lodgers had moved out.

Not to be recommended.

I think you need at least one other toilet and keep the bedroom basins. And yes, I think the people will pee in them if there are no other facilities.

While we didn't resort to doing that when we returned from Spain*, we did on occasions go up the road to use the pub's facilities.

Is there nowhere (a cupboard even), where you could put a toilet, macerators fit in virtually anywhere.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/macerator.htm

* at least I didn't:eek::eek::rotfl:
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    21.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there nowhere (a cupboard even), where you could put a toilet, macerators fit in virtually anywhere.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/macerator.htm

Anyone considering macerators should read this first:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html

It makes peeing in the sink sound a preferable option.
  • red40red40 Forumite
    264 posts
    red40 wrote: »
    No planning need as it is only being let to 4 persons and I assume no article 4.

AdrianC wrote: »
    So what happens when a tenant's partner moves in with them...?

Nothing happens Adrian, planning permission is only required for 7 or more persons unless there is Article 4 planning restriction in place.

As anselld stated it would be a C3 to C4 permitted development.

HTH

• edited 7 November 2016 at 9:47AM
    seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 November 2016 at 9:47AM
    :rotfl:Perhaps a macerator is NOT a good idea then....:rotfl::rotfl:

Just ignore my previous remark, OP :)

Whilst I understand that you are not obliged to have an extra toilet, I do think it will make your property more attractive.

Could you convert one of the kitchens into a bathroom and/or utility room with toilet?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • SlinkySlinky Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    We had a 3 bed house along the road from us converted into an unlicensed HMO. 5 unrelated people living in it, one kitchen, one bathroom with the toilet separate to it. Two tenants had the ground floor reception rooms which had double doors between them, the landlord blocked them up with wardrobes (could see this through the lounge window).

Endless trouble ensued with not enough parking, rubbish piling up outside, tenants not getting along, noise, police being called, even had the Police helicopter hovering overhead one night whilst police went in and waited whilst a resident removed his belongings. Was hellish for the neighbours who made sure they made the landlord's life a misery with complaints to him. Eventually he saw sense and rented it out to a family and life returned to normal.
  • Bogof_BabeBogof_Babe Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I can't understand is the OP's desire to go to the trouble of removing existing basins in the bedrooms, and making good afterwards to tidy up the residual mess, when they could just leave them in situ.

Really, so what if someone occasionally pees in it because the only other facility is occupied - they will presumably run the tap afterwards, and as a previous poster says, it's they who will have to clean their teeth at the same sink in the morning! That's another thing, it's not only washing in the morning and using the toilet, it's washing your face and cleaning your teeth at night, when perhaps you are really tired and just want to get into bed, but there's a queue for the bathroom.

Worries about hairdryers? What's the realistic likelihood of someone dropping a hairdryer into a sink full of water? If you're that worried, don't have a mirror over the sink. How many of the rooms have electric sockets within hairdryer cord reach of the sink?
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    36K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Worries about hairdryers? What's the realistic likelihood of someone dropping a hairdryer into a sink full of water? If you're that worried, don't have a mirror over the sink. How many of the rooms have electric sockets within hairdryer cord reach of the sink?
    So long as the sockets comply with the zones, there's no issue at all.

tls5-bathroom-zones.jpg
    Within zone 1 or 2, any electrical fixtures must be at least IPx4-rated - protected against spray up to 60° from vertical.
  • Bogof_BabeBogof_Babe Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A hairdryer wouldn't count as an "electrical fixture" would it? I guess you mean the wall sockets. In which case, if they are already there then presumably when they were installed the proximity of the basins was taken into account. Or vice versa, if the basins came second!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support