I feel I have been mis-sold ?

13

Replies

  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi
    No there is no misunderstanding - I definitely had these items covered with Lloyds - this is why I specifically asked the Broker for like for like, PLUS all electrical items (which I DID have with Lloyds) ;-)

    The issue is not electrical items. All policies cover electrical items for standard claims. It looks like it is accidental damage cover as you say you dropped it. That would fall under an add-on to home insurance called accidental cover.

    Televisions get automatic accidental cover under standard policies. Laptops do not. This is the same on all policies.

    If the sale of the insurance was after January 2005 (the date of regulation), then the audit trail should be pretty good. There will be a statement of demands and needs the sets out the cover required. if it is pre-regulation then they don't have to consider the complaint unless they volunteer to do so. The audit trails will be lower too.

    This complaint is quite straightforward. If your old policy had accidental damage cover and your new one doesn't then it should be upheld. if your old one didnt have accidental damage cover, then your complaint should be rejected. If you have your old policy documents to hand, they will tell you if you had accidental damage cover or not. If you dont have them, the broker may ask for your permission to write to Lloyds to verify if you had it or not. Although they may have it noted on their sale documents.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lisyloo wrote: »
    The brokers will look into it. They will rely heavily on the paperwork.
    If they disagree (which to be honest is likely) then you can go to the ombudsman.
    They will probably say they have paperwork that you signed sating you had read and understood the terms of the policy.
    Don't be put off - if the policy is indeed inferior then the ombudsman will have to decide how likely it was that you deliberately accepted an inferior policy (Answer: unlikely).
    I've had a very high degree of success with the ombudsman over the years and a very low degree of success with companies direct who will generally defend themselves unless caught red handed.
    You will need to be quite patient as you'll have to wait for the brokers findings and the ombudsman are quite busy.
    The fact that the brokers left shouldn't make any difference apart from the fact that he/she can't comment.


    Thanks for your comments.
    I am one of those people that, once I have been crossed, and I know what I asked to be put in place, if it goes wrong, I will NOT let it go. ;-)
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    Televisions get automatic accidental cover under standard policies. Laptops do not. This is the same on all policies.

    Lloyds have policies where laptops are covered as standard without the additional accidental damage cover option.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    KJSmith wrote: »
    Lloyds have policies where laptops are covered as standard without the additional accidental damage cover option.

    All policies cover laptops under standard cover. However, they dont cover accidental damage under standard cover.

    Laptop is stolen - standard cover
    Laptop is dropped - accidental cover required
    Laptop stolen or lost outside of the home - personal possessions cover required.

    This is why I am focusing on this point. It is quite possible that there was no accidental damage cover on the original Lloyds policy and that followed through onto the new policy.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Agree exactly with what dunstonh has said.


    Also worth pointing out that "Lloyds have policies" - yes, policies, not policy. Even if it is covered as standard in one of their policies, doesn't mean it's covered in all of them.


    All dunstonh is doing is trying to get the facts in order to help so the OP doesn't go in all guns blazing without a leg to stand on.
  • Dimples7166Dimples7166 Forumite
    36 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    dunstonh wrote: »
    All policies cover laptops under standard cover. However, they dont cover accidental damage under standard cover.

    Laptop is stolen - standard cover
    Laptop is dropped - accidental cover required
    Laptop stolen or lost outside of the home - personal possessions cover required.

    This is why I am focusing on this point. It is quite possible that there was no accidental damage cover on the original Lloyds policy and that followed through onto the new policy.



    Hi
    I DID have accidental damage on my last policy
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi
    I DID have accidental damage on my last policy

    Did you have full accidental damage or just limited accidental damage to TV and certain other electrical items? The new policy seems to be the latter.

    Can you prove that? If you still hold the old policy schedule then it should be very easy for you to complain and expect a positive outcome (unless there is documentary evidence saying why it wasnt included - hence my reference to pre or post January 2005 when the rules changed)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Dimples7166Dimples7166 Forumite
    36 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Did you have full accidental damage or just limited accidental damage to TV and certain other electrical items? The new policy seems to be the latter.

    Can you prove that? If you still hold the old policy schedule then it should be very easy for you to complain and expect a positive outcome (unless there is documentary evidence saying why it wasnt included - hence my reference to pre or post January 2005 when the rules changed)



    Hi
    Yes, I can prove it on my old policy - I like to be covered for any eventuality, hence me asking him to make sure I had full cover on the new one before I changed
  • Do you also have any evidence that you expressed you would only take the policy if it was like-for-like or better?


    If not they could argue that this wasn't the case and as you hadn't brought anything to their attention during the cooling off period meaning you were happy with the terms provided. As far as I'm aware, it's your responsibility to ensure you're happy with the policy and should check it yourself.


    If you've got proof that that's what you asked for however and they've issued you this policy anyway, then it's more probable that the broker will have to compensate you.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi
    Yes, I can prove it on my old policy - I like to be covered for any eventuality, hence me asking him to make sure I had full cover on the new one before I changed

    Good that proves what you had before and that you were paying extra for accidental damage cover.

    Was the insurance bought before or after January 2005?

    If you have the old policies and it was after January 2005, then you should also have the statement of demands and needs issued with the new policy. That should cover off the status of accidental damage cover and why it was or wasnt included.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides