re. diagnosis not confirmed

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
6 replies 779 views
katejokatejo Forumite
3.3K Posts
Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I am due to go to Berlin for 4 days in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately I had a minor accident last week and have a possible scaphoid fracture. I have had x rays but, due to the type of fracture, the doctors can't confirm whether I actually have a fracture for 2 weeks. I may well not have one.
I was about to buy a single trip policy when the accident occurred. Glad I didn't waste any money on the policy last week because the company refuses to cover without a definite diagnosis. This would have applied even if I had already bought the policy.

Can anyone recommend an insurer which would allow me to just exclude this fracture but cover everything else? I have been given a broker number to ring but thought I would try here first.

We really are punished for being honest. I could have just declared it as a fracture (and had cover for everything else). Either I do have a fracture or I don't. It's not like a possible cancer diagnosis.

Replies

• QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't tell them about the pre existing fracture issue then no claim will be entertained which is connected in any way to your fracture
  • katejokatejo Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quentin wrote: »
    If you don't tell them about the pre existing fracture issue then no claim will be entertained which is connected in any way to your fracture

Yes I know that. That isn't my question. I want to find an insurer who will allow me to just exclude this possible fracture but cover me for other pre existing conditions/new illness/luggage etc. Otherwise I will have to cancel the trip due to a condition which may not exist. Even if I had paid for a policy before the accident, they would not offer any cover.
    The insurer to whom I spoke said that I couldn't have ANY medical insurance because of 1 unconfirmed condition. I would understand this if i were waiting for tests for cancer but not for a simple unconfirmed fracture.
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't tell them about the suspected fracture that won't be covered.

Tell them all your other conditions, but be aware that any claim connected to the fracture in any way won't be entertained (which is what you wanted in your OP)
  • lisa110rrylisa110rry Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    I think Bupa and many others will do what you want. You just want to exclude any issues resulting from your possible fracture but keep the rest of the cover. You just tell the truth, which will exclude the fracture but retain anything else as far as I know.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • katejokatejo Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quentin wrote: »
    If you don't tell them about the suspected fracture that won't be covered.

Tell them all your other conditions, but be aware that any claim connected to the fracture in any way won't be entertained (which is what you wanted in your OP)

That is what I wanted to know. I am happy to risk this. However I thought that my failure to disclose the new possible fracture might mean that they would void the whole policy even if any claim had no connection to the fracture (eg. appendicitis or stolen credit cards)
    i am only going to Berlin for 4 nights and have an EHIC card.
  • katejokatejo Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lisa110rry wrote: »
    I think Bupa and many others will do what you want. You just want to exclude any issues resulting from your possible fracture but keep the rest of the cover. You just tell the truth, which will exclude the fracture but retain anything else as far as I know.

I will have a look at BUPA but they may say the same as another company I tried. They are willing to sell a policy for a future holiday if you have an undiagnosed condition but only if it will have been fully diagnosed by the departure date. The nature of my possible fracture to the scaphoid bone is such that doctors can't see any fracture until 2 weeks after the event. I had a 2nd X Ray yesterday but it wasn't conclusive.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance

MSE Deals