Rhubarb - lift and move into more sun?

edited 22 May 2017 at 1:46PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2 replies 785 views
ampersandampersand Forumite
9.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 22 May 2017 at 1:46PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2 garden ?s tonight and all help welcomed :-)

I asked about division and replanting on this forum a few years back.

All went well - 7 new clumps have produced lovely rhubarb, planted out in bare ground between a walnut tree and a eucalyptus, tall north-facing wooden fence behind. Since last year notably, both trees, which I started from nuts about 10 years back, have gone mad.

I've had to remove a lower branch or two from the walnut, suddenly 14' tall. The gum tree has soared past 20'. Trunk girths are about 15'' and 20'' respectively. A now departed neighbour dispatched a big, old, massy forsythia adjacent to these 2-3 years ago and I attribute much of the growth to this removal of a rival.

Reading that rhubarb wants full sun, which it no longer has under my trees' foliage, should I risk another move? If so, when? Stalk are in recovery mode atm, after my 6wks away May-July. Everything suffered, my raspberries especially, but theyre recovering well now, new 10-12' arcing stems, heavily fruited.

Waitrose coffee grounds have been applied liberally partout.
CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

Replies

• TheGardenerTheGardener Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rhubarb generally prefers partial, but not deep shade. Best lifted/divided/replanted in late autumn/early winter when its dormant. I was taught to leave a crown on the surface to freeze before re-planting but I don't know if this works as I've never really tried it out. However, a period of frost is necessary for rhubarb to regenerate well I believe.
  • ampersandampersand Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    In that case, I'll leave it where it is and keep on with the tlc catch-up.

Many thanks TG.
    #
    Any help on my other ? on honeysuckle?
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News