Lowcostholidays collapses – your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos

edited 18 July 2016 at 9:24AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
832 replies 114.3K views
Former_MSE_FayeFormer_MSE_Faye Former MSE
147 Posts
The travel plans of 140,000 holidaymakers have been thrown into chaos by the collapse of the online travel agent...
Read the full story:
'Lowcostholidays collapses – your rights as 140,000 hit by travel chaos'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
Get Martin's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Replies

• sharp910shsharp910sh Forumite
    521 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Jesus I paid for a hotel with hoteling.com and am yet to travel. What should i do? I paid on credit card
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sharp910sh wrote: »
    ..... I paid for a hotel with hoteling.com and am yet to travel. What should i do? I paid on credit card

When does your proposed stay start?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Alan_BowenAlan_Bowen Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You will have to pay again, but check with your hotel as the amounts outstanding are so large, some had already resold the accommodation. If it is available, pay again and make a claim under s75 of the Consumer Credit Act against your card issuer.
  • sharp910shsharp910sh Forumite
    521 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I lie I didn't pay on my credit card but my natwest visa debit card. I am due to go to the hotel on the 9th of Sept.

So I assume that the hotel has not received payment from Hoteling.com

The receipt I received says:

Hoteling is acting in its capacity as an agent for Lowcostbeds.com AG, who have made your booking with Hotels4U for
    booking ref Hotels4U
  • skea56skea56 Forumite
    405 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    ✭✭
    We literally booked our holiday last week. Have contacted jet2 and they are toget back to me tomorrow to confirm flight status but according to the website the hotel is not paid. Where do we go from here? Have looked and the hotels are already dearer.
    Can we claim the whole thing off our credit card and rebook a brand new one?

Sk56
    Savings: £2 Jar: £804/£1000
    Debts: Santander 1211.12/1780.47 (32% Paid) Total Debt Paid Off £12871.66
  • weekettyweeketty Forumite
    11 Posts
    I have booked my hotel via hoteling for 8 nights in september. I have phoned the hotel and they have told me the booking states confirmed but the female on the phone couldn't tell me if it had been fully paid by them or not. Can anyone tell me my chances of them having actually paid it? its been booked for a few months now!

I booked via credit card thankfully so if all else fails will I be ok to get a refund from them or is it debatable? Unneeded stress!!
  • redmalcredmalc Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The main issue here is if you have booked Hotels with these guys the bookings will be showing as live but the hotelier will not have been paid.
    It may be you can contact the hotel and pay again then if you paid by credit card do a charge back or claim on your holiday insurance
  • hugo15hugo15 Forumite
    116 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Due to go to New York on Thursday. I'm trying to contact the hotel to see what the status is. If I claim against the credit card company I am assuming that it is the amount of the original booking I can claim and if it costs me more to re-book then that is just my bad luck. If some one could confirm that would be really appreciated. Stressed!
  • Their paperwork says "We are established in Spain. Spain, just as the UK does, has financial protection requirements for travel companies. We comply fully with those financial protection requirements. We are licensed with Spanish registration no AVBAL/636"

Does that mean that the is an ATOL-like organisation from which we can make a claim?
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hugo15 wrote: »
    .... If I claim against the credit card company I am assuming that it is the amount of the original booking I can claim and if it costs me more to re-book then that is just my bad luck. If some one could confirm that would be really appreciated....

Sounds about right. Which currency was your card charged in?

But do a very thorough search before rebooking.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals