Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

OS Daily FRIDAY 7th Dec 07 - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

OS Daily FRIDAY 7th Dec 07

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
92 replies 4K views

Replies

• Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone!

Churchmouse - where are you :confused: Happy Birthday to your DS. I'll have a slice of hedgehog cake if there's any left :D :rolleyes:

Haribo - glad you enjoyed the panto :j

Aussie - has someone been playing with your screen brightness control :confused:

dlb - I had chickenpox twice -second tiime as I went on maternity leave with DD :eek: Hope your DD is better soon.

Nothing else to say - I'll spare you the drivel :cool:

Have a great day, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • redrubyredruby Forumite
    7.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    morning all,

Wet and very windy here too, woke me up several times in the night
    n9eav, glad you enjoyed the meal, its horrible when you overeat though xx

Kathy, glad your hubbie has gone off with a 'full lunchbox' :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

dlb glad dd is ok xx

hugs to pen pin OH x

pipkin your ginger biscuits sound fab, could you post the recipe ? xx

Well i have decided to stay off work again today, give myself the weekend to recover, feel better today though, so will potter around, need to put a wash on today no chance of hanging it out though.

Got pork steaks for tea will do them with a 'reggee' sauce and rice and peas, yum.

Have good fridays all

xxx
  • scuzzscuzz Forumite
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning All

Really, really shattered today. Think all the extra hours have finally caught up with me.

Went to the garden centre yesterday and got a couple of bits for Christmas, before going to the farm shop. Got the chipolatas for Chrimble dinner and sausages for dinner last night, two onions, sasperella (yum) and some kidneys. Then we made the mistake of going to their cider and wine barn. Spent a small fortune! Got cider ready to mull, bottle of wine, two bottles of flavoured brandy (cherry & apricot) for Nan for Christmas and a ginger cream liquer for Christmas.

Got the dreaded petrol run later - not looking forward to it in this weather. But have a 5p off a litre at Mr T coupon. God knows we need it with the stupid prices of fuel

Very worried about my friend. She's thinking of leaving her husband (probably will) & was texting me late last night cos she's scared. She has no money - just over a pound to her name - and a toddler to think about. I don't know how to help her. I'm checking the freebies board for anything she could get in time for Christmas for her little one and trying to be there for her. But I feel totally useless. I have posted on the marriage board for help and given her what they tell me. She now thinks she'll split with him before Christmas, but again is worried. Hoping she'll talk to me later again, as at least she's not bottling worries if she's talking about them.

Hope everyone's ok
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everybody,
    dlb glad it isn't the pox again. I wouldn't bet on the school keeping her today though. Any undiagnosed rash has to be seen by a doctor, so be prepared ;)

It's my French class today. Gosh, I am enjoying it. At the moment we're learning how to shop and buy food in French, not that I need any help doing that :rotfl:

I have pork chops planned for tonight, with apples and cider I think, or should I say porc au pommes et cidre or something like that.

Oh bum, I've just realised I need £2 of my last £4 for the car park whilst I'm in my French class :rolleyes: I might be reduced to stealing DD's pocket money :o anyone else nick their kid's money or is it just me? :D
  • donny-galdonny-gal Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone

Th 4.5 - 5 hours a night seems to be my max. Though not tired, lethargic or anything so must be having enough.

Kitchen ceiling got painted, and made a start of emptying the [strike](rubbish)[/strike] useful stuff out of the side bedroom. Doing this by emptying cupboards in DS's old bedroom and moving it in (no time to sort!) as he is moving into the side bedroom once done. Just bagging/boxing his stuff up - a project for him for when he comes home for Xmas:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: .
    Being a little sneaky for if I get it emptied today the friends who are coming for the weekend, our caravanning mates, will help us take down the existing cupboards, take the carpet up (watch out freecycle) and get the paper off. My plan is if we can emulsion this room before the buider starts, then it will only be touch up, as it will be very close the Xmas.:beer: :beer: Helped along with an odd glass of red wine of course.

I've PM's Amie and had no reply to that either - anyone heard from her?
    Thriftlady - Bonjour - think I am joining you in Spendthrift mode:eek: , scuzz - ((hugs)) for your and your friend, is hard for both of you, but lucky she has you, CM - Birthday wishes to DS, redruby - look after yourself and don't go back too soon, Pen-Pen - my turn for drivel today:rotfl: :j charlies-mum Lovely for you:o, Pen-Pin - glad you had a good night, Pipkin - hope everything OK at the Docs, dlb - Glad it doesn look like the 'pox (I've had shingles on my face twice when DS was small - Not nice!), My connection still not good Tiredmum - I keep having to disable and enable the network connection - and this is a new PC!, Moiliere - good luck with knitting the mcie. Hope you have a good night Aussie - and that DH's op goes well, Mrs_M - don't do too much on that knee, Jannyannie - Hope you are feeling better soon, N9eav - enjoy your weekend off and your wedding do. Hi to anyone I may have crossed with.
    ((((Hugs)))) to poorlies, and poorly lo's, dh's etc.,
    Take care
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • pipkin71pipkin71 Forumite
    21.8K posts
    redruby wrote: »
    pipkin your ginger biscuits sound fab, could you post the recipe ?xx

Hi redruby

ginger refrigerator biscuits:

8oz s/r flour
    4oz butter
    6oz castor sugar
    1 egg
    1½ teaspoon ground ginger
    ½ teaspoon mixed spice

once it's formed into a dough - I bunged everything into the mixer:D - shape into a long sausage, wrap in aluminium foil and roll some more to get a long sausage shape. Leave in the fridge for an hour, then slice off however many you want and place well apart on a greased baking tin before cooking, as they spread. The rest of the mixture can be stored for up to a week, in the fridge.

Variations.

Vanilla refrigerator biscuits:

8oz s/r flour
    4oz butter
    6oz castor sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Coconut refrigerator biscuits:

8oz s/r flour
    4oz butter
    6oz castor sugar
    1 egg
    2oz dessicated coconut

Chocolate refrigerator biscuits:

8oz s/r flour
    4oz butter
    6oz castor sugar
    1 egg
    2oz finely grated plain chocolate

Raisin refrigerator biscuits:

8oz s/r flour
    4oz butter
    6oz castor sugar
    1 egg
    2oz chopped raisins

Pipkin xxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • donny-galdonny-gal Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pipkin - temperature & time for cooking?
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • cheerfulness4cheerfulness4 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Tis really windy here, too today. I can hear it coming down the chimney blowing a gail.

I've finally sucumbed to the cold that all the men folk in my family have. Am sporting a lovely red nose at present. :(

Just typical that my hairdressing appointment is this morning when I'm feeling grog. And I need to colour my hair ready for going out tomorrow. I absolutely hate that job and the annoying thing is that I sat for half an hour in the bath last week with the dye on, only to discover that I was still as grey as a badger when I got out. I had mixed the developer with the conditioner and not the colourant. :mad:

Off to make another coffee and have a read up. Hugs to all those needing them today. (One of them may be me, car has got its MOT at 1pm :eek: )
  • cheerfulness4cheerfulness4 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the recipes Pipkin. Very useful :D
  • stefejbstefejb Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Morning everyone

Scuzz could your friend contact womens aid or refuge for advice and maybe a place of safety. They will help her with benefits, housing advice etc.
    TFI friday - I had to go in on monday this week and it has made the week draaaaaaaag. there is no way I could give up my monday off.
    dd11 and I are friends again and she is very excited about seeing the golden compass tonight. Felt for her though - she is taking a friend and exoh is picking them up from school. She said last night that she knows he is going to let her down and be late and it's going to be embarassing in front of her friend - I wish she would tell him that though.

As its a Daddy Weekend I hve some free range chicken defrosting in the fridge for tonight and will probably leave w*rk early to celebrate

have a good day
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008