edited 10 May 2016 at 4:50PM in Old style MoneySaving
285 replies 50.4K views

Replies

• Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    What about Stevia or stuff like that? I use that but it does keep the craving going. It's very hard staying sugar-free and I do feel admiration for people who can do it.

Stevia is seriously sweet, almost cloying, and I grew some last year but it didn't survive a Humberside mild winter so no good for you Mar. I have also grown sweet cicely which is supposed to be good added to crumbles, etc. instead of sugar. That just bolted the first bit of hot weather we had and went to seed. I am on the LCHF routine and doing quite well, but would need the odd sweet thing now and again. Lemon meringue pie? Tarte au citron? I think I do feel better and livelier since ditching the carbs.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • mardathamardatha Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Oh my god .... lemon meringue pie under tons of hot custard is my all-time fav comfort food, along with jellybabies!!!! Both give me terminal heartburn now :(
  • Tarte au citron?
    Love it, the sharper the better!

It's completely off my radar though, I know that anything cake-y or baked dessert will draw me back into the sugar trap. I just accept that there are many good things to eat, but sugar cannot be on that list because it's my heroin, there's no such thing as just a little bit. For me just not worth going backwards.

Day 75 was a normal day, sugar all around but not even vaguely tempting! I did have a bit of a binge on carbs though - cereal and bread :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    15.6K Posts
    I think I need you to live in my hall cupboard and keep me motivated....
  • sniggingssniggings Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I've been sugar free for 6 weeks now, had my worst day today, up to now I have to say not really noticed a drop in energy, but today I had next to no energy, not sure if it has anything to do with the no sugar thing as surely I should be over the worse by now?

I don't eat anything with added sugar, or bread/flour.

Fruit is my treat, was eating dates but stopped those as the sugar content in those is extreme!

The weight is dropping off me, but apart from the weight loss, not sure I can say I've noticed any other improvements?

I'm amazed I'm not really craving anything, as I was a big sugar eater previously.

Think I'll carry on for another few months and see how it goes.

Have to say it's an expensive way of eating, but just looking at the sugar content of most packaged foods out there, it keeps me motivated.
  • edited 10 July 2016 at 9:57AM
    VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 July 2016 at 9:57AM
    sniggings wrote: »
    I'm amazed I'm not really craving anything, as I was a big sugar eater previously.
    Well done sniggings! No sugar for 42 days is an achievement :T

The question of benefits is an interesting one. I too have lost stacks of weight judging by the fit of my clothes and change in shape. But I stood on the scales just now and have in fact remained stable, although am admittedly leaner and more muscular. The metabolic changes I had hoped to see haven't manifested overnight but I still have the firm belief that I am doing myself a big favour long term. My clear complexion has been commented on by several people and I now don't wear foundation.

Cost wise I think I'm spending about the same, but I'm now not buying supplies in bulk and storing for years / treats in bulk and polishing them off fast. Instead I'm buying more fresh food and making an effort to consume it so everything evens itself out. Yesterday I had an apple in the evening, and that was enough.

Now for the tiredness: yes it has been and is still a problem for me. The benefit is I sleep far better at night. But I do get tired during the day, ridiculously so given I am relatively young and fit. Eg yesterday I went out for the morning, without my morning tea. I was back by 11.30am but felt very harried when asked to go out again, because I was so tired. I realised it was time to eat and had my coffee with very dense sunflower toast and felt much better for it, in fact was able to go for a long walk afterwards although I did then reward myself with a big mug of tea and a punnet of cherries :D. Again I felt tired early yesterday and ended up asleep without even realising it after 10pm.
    Think I'll carry on for another few months and see how it goes.
    Why you would go back? Everything tastes sweet to me now, I find sweetness where it doesn't exist! Eg in cups of coffee others have made for me, a small serving of almonds I have just eaten with my morning tea. And judging by my behaviour when I'm running on empty (yet not physically hungry), it would be all too easy to "cure" my lows with an instant fix. And then another, and then another...

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • sniggingssniggings Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Well done sniggings! No sugar for 42 days is an achievement :T

The question of benefits is an interesting one. I too have lost stacks of weight judging by the fit of my clothes and change in shape. But I stood on the scales just now and have in fact remained stable, although am admittedly leaner and more muscular. The metabolic changes I had hoped to see haven't manifested overnight but I still have the firm belief that I am doing myself a big favour long term. My clear complexion has been commented on by several people and I now don't wear foundation.

Cost wise I think I'm spending about the same, but I'm now not buying supplies in bulk and storing for years / treats in bulk and polishing them off fast. Instead I'm buying more fresh food and making an effort to consume it so everything evens itself out. Yesterday I had an apple in the evening, and that was enough.

Now for the tiredness: yes it has been and is still a problem for me. The benefit is I sleep far better at night. But I do get tired during the day, ridiculously so given I am relatively young and fit. Eg yesterday I went out for the morning, without my morning tea. I was back by 11.30am but felt very harried when asked to go out again, because I was so tired. I realised it was time to eat and had my coffee with very dense sunflower toast and felt much better for it, in fact was able to go for a long walk afterwards although I did then reward myself with a big mug of tea and a punnet of cherries :D. Again I felt tired early yesterday and ended up asleep without even realising it after 10pm.

Why you would go back? Everything tastes sweet to me now, I find sweetness where it doesn't exist! Eg in cups of coffee others have made for me, a small serving of almonds I have just eaten with my morning tea. And judging by my behaviour when I'm running on empty (yet not physically hungry), it would be all too easy to "cure" my lows with an instant fix. And then another, and then another...

Thanks, yeah it's the first time I've changed my eating habits and stuck to it for so long without really thinking it's a chore.
    I put this down to the fact I started this eating plan, not to lose weight but the shock when I started taking note of how much sugar these people are putting in our food, the recommended intake is around 25/30g a day, yet that much and more can be in just 1 yogurt :eek:

One change I forgot to mention was my blood pressure, t's coming down quite markedly, not sure what big change I was expecting, guess changes are slow in coming.

Yeah the sleep thing I too have noticed, I sleep better.

Don't think I could "go back" just maybe not as extreme as I am, as no bread, no pizza no coke ever again seems a big ask, so I may wait and get stable on the plan I'm on, then allow myself the odd bad food, just so I don't feel deprived.

I'm really bad at shopping, I tend to buy day by day, which I know is expensive, think I'll start weekly shopping now, and try and vary my menu a little, as at the minute it's veg with meat/fish, then fruit and cream.

I'm also going to try adding more fat to my meals, I don't eat pasta/bread so fat seems to be the way to go for the energy I'm missing out on.

Oh yeah the taste of things have changed loads, I've never enjoyed bananas so much, peaches were lost on me until now, and boiled eggs!
    I even use a tomato for a cracker with blue cheese on, so much better than a few chocolate biscuits with a coffee.
    SO yeah for me the biggest change up to now is the taste of food has come back to me, just means I can no longer buy the 69p tomatoes, now it's the £1.50 vine tomatoes :o
  • edited 11 July 2016 at 6:21AM
    VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 July 2016 at 6:21AM
    Don't think I could "go back" just maybe not as extreme as I am, as no bread, no pizza no coke ever again seems a big ask, so I may wait and get stable on the plan I'm on, then allow myself the odd bad food, just so I don't feel deprived.
    Wow! I didn't realise you were low-carbing! Bread I restrict but I would struggle to quit. Pasta I can live without but the occasional dose of cereal is an additional treat I can't deny myself. Coke is just a complete waste of time - diet or "full fat" - I promise you. I know some are really fond of it but I just don't get it.

I barely ate yesterday and have a migraine on the way. I also have an early start this morning so have just had a breakfast to fill me up: banana and cream :)

15.6K Posts
    I'm a low-carber as well, but mainly because the hubby is diabetic and he finds it helps his BG. I dont like bread rice or pasta anyway. I really really don't want to tell you what Sainsburys brought me yesterday.. I will be drummed out of this thread! I'll eat it quick and then try harder. I promise! :A
  • splishsplashsplishsplash Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Afternoon (where is the day gone?). I hope your migraine settles, VfM, an early start probably doesn't help.

I had a spectacular accident on Friday evening. I spilled some water on the kitchen floor and promptly slipped on it, tried and failed to do the splits and ended up on the floor with my leg twisted up behind me at a most unnatural angle. All while holding my very small baby grandson :eek:.

Upshot is that he is fine, my knee is banjaxed. I blew out the ACL in both knees years ago, I'm pretty sure I've torn the cartilage this time, judging by the bruising and crunching when I walk. The knee puffed up to balloon size within 30 minutes and the pain was something else.

Long story short, I'm amazed at how quickly it's all settling by contrast with previous similar episodes. After 24 hours I had no pain at rest, swelling, heat and bruising were already improving (which allowed me to notice my swollen ankle and bruised elbow :undecided) and today it's better again - i.e. the inflammatory process has almost finished.

I'm putting that down to a cleaner, sugar-free diet :j (<< ok, I won't be doing that anytime soon).
    So thanks, OP, for starting this thread, I think it has been a big help to me:beer:.

As I still need crutches for a bit, I won't be able to work for a couple of days. I intend to use this time to try out some new recipes - today will be pizza with a buckwheat crust. I don't have tapioca flour but can use potato starch instead.

So today, lunch will be hummus and salad, dinner will be pizza with roasted peppers and caramelized onions with mozzarella and a little grated parmesan and cheddar. This will be interesting, I haven't had cheese for weeks. I miss cheese :undecided :D
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ask An Expert: Rewind

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals