IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Parking Ticket Appeals guide discussion

edited 6 February 2013 at 1:46PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
238 replies 111.6K views

Replies

• dvtrvdvtrv Forumite
    178 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Thanks
    Ta
  • annep_2annep_2 Forumite
    3 Posts
    I have received a letter from a debt collection agency asking for £160 for an unpaid parking fee. However, I have received no notification regarding this fine. I rang the agency and a young man who was barely able to string a sentence together said that because the parking company (Smart Parking) has passed on the debt to them, they (ie Smart) would have nothing further to do with it, and my only option was to pay the £160. He added that that Royal Mail. having accepted the letter into the system, were at fault and I should take up non-receipt of the letter with them! While I am perfectly open to paying a fair penalty charge if there is evidence that it is fair, I am reluctant to pay this charge. Can anyone advise me what to do next and how to avoid this charge? Thanks
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    36.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignore it as it is too late to make any appeal. Only take notice of a Letter Before Claim (from Smart, not the debt collector) or real court papers. Smart are not, currently, litigious, but have up to six years to pursue you at court.

Come back if you get either of the above, but you need to start a new thread of your own, not jump in on a thread not belonging to you. Unlikely that this will go any further other than more hassling (yet powerless) debt collector rubbish.

More on dealing with debt collectors in post #4 of the newbies FAQ sticky.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • edited 6 July 2016 at 8:40PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    105.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 July 2016 at 8:40PM
    Please don't read the useless MSE article! It's too old and the suggested appeal is WRONG and will cost people money.

We told MSE Marcel two or three years ago that it is daft to rush to appeal (without checking if a PPC is even able to get your data!) and ridiculous to suggest MSEers say in an appeal to any private ticketer: 'the reason I parked the way I did' but MSE didn't change it and have stitched people up (inadvertently I'm sure). People will lose money because of how AWFUL the article insofar as their suggested template appeal to a private parking ticket is concerned.

Please read the 'NEWBIES READ THESE FAQS FIRST' sticky thread, near the top of the forum and send that appeal instead, if you have not yet got a rejection letter & POPLA code.

If a person has a POPLA code already, just search this forum for the name of the parking firm and the word 'POPLA' and read only RECENT examples, to see what to say to POPLA. Newbies should then start a thread and show us your draft POPLA appeal based on others found by searching.

IF YOU GET AN IPC FIRM 'TICKET' - DO NOT TRY 'IAS' APPEAL!! NONONONONONO. AND CERTAINLY NOT THE 'NON-STANDARD' APPEAL.

The sticky thread explains all.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • annep_2annep_2 Forumite
    3 Posts
    Really sorry for my ignorance of forum etiquette, but grateful for your response, Umkomaas
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    105.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a general plea to prevent newbies from reading the wrong things. :)

Please don't read the useless MSE article! It's too old and the suggested appeal is WRONG and will cost people money.

We told MSE Marcel two or three years ago that it is daft to rush to appeal (without checking if a PPC is even able to get your data!) and ridiculous to suggest MSEers say in an appeal to any private ticketer: 'the reason I parked the way I did' but MSE didn't change it and have stitched people up (inadvertently I'm sure). People will lose money because of how AWFUL the article insofar as their suggested template appeal to a private parking ticket is concerned.

Please read the 'NEWBIES READ THESE FAQS FIRST' sticky thread, near the top of the forum and send that appeal instead, if you have not yet got a rejection letter & POPLA code.

If a person has a POPLA code already, just search this forum for the name of the parking firm and the word 'POPLA' and read only RECENT examples, to see what to say to POPLA. Newbies should then start a thread and show us your draft POPLA appeal based on others found by searching.

IF YOU GET AN IPC FIRM 'TICKET' - DO NOT TRY 'IAS' APPEAL!! NONONONONONO. AND CERTAINLY NOT THE 'NON-STANDARD' APPEAL.

• Hi all,
    Just been given a parking charge by Horizon on behalf of Sainsbury supermarket (Arnison Centre nr Durham).
    I parked for less than the four hours stated as free per their signage, and I am a customer of the store, but still after only 1hour in the car park per the ticket time stamp I was given a charge, it implied I was a NON Customer parked in a Customer ONLY car park.
    I can even prove I am a regular Sainsbury customer as my Nectar card must track usage...probably spent over £200 in last week alone.
    I have appealed to Horizon who flatly refused my appeal...Computer Says NO springs to mind. A similar appeal to Sainsburys customer services got a bland "All appeals must go through Horizon" message...obviously the kick backs must prevent any levels of decency on their part.
    Any advice on were to go next.
    Or should I flatly refuse to pay?...anyone ignored paying?
  • nigelbbnigelbb Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    smutley6900 read the post directly above yours from C-M. Read the Sticky Thread then start your own thread about your own particular case.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    105.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a general plea to prevent newbies from reading the wrong things.

• Just a quick message. I only joined this site to try and spread the word of what I think is a new low by parking/enforcement companies.
    Standard problem. Parked a bit out of a space at a sainburys. Got fine. Appealed it.4 months later got a letter from DRV asking for £120 or they will take me to court.
    I called them and asked why it was now £120 she said because I ignored the last letter saying my appeal was turned down & still had to pay the fine.
    I told them I hadnt received that letter only for the lady to quote legislation that said I had to prove I hadnt received the letter otherwise next letter would be a court summons.
    This all sounded very fishy. I honestly never received a letter & she was really quick to quote the legislation as soon as I mentioned it.
    I paid £96 I cant afford rather than £30 all because I didnt & couldnt prove I had received an advisory letter from euro car parks.
    Im sorry this is in the wrong section or something but Im so angry & want to show people the new lows these scumbags have sunken to.
    Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals