The worst ‘paying in pounds abroad’ rip-off I’ve seen – where £160 of cash costs £190

"The worst ‘paying in pounds abroad’ rip-off I’ve seen – where £160 of cash costs £190"

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• malkie76malkie76 Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is this a rip off ? Your own bank absorb the costs of transfer, where as the Greek bank (whom you have no relationship with) charge a poorer exchange rate to cover their costs.
    Legal team on standby
  • malkie76 wrote: »
    How is this a rip off ? Your own bank absorb the costs of transfer, where as the Greek bank (whom you have no relationship with) charge a poorer exchange rate to cover their costs.

Really?

• Roger1Roger1 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    At least you had a clear choice. In Switzerland the default option often seems to be the DCC shame where it can be difficult to change.

I wanted to use my new SuperCard to pay the (grand sum of) 4 CHF on the car park machine. DCC was the only immediate option and 3.20 GBP was the converted amount. It took a while to get the CHF option. In the end, SuperCard's conversion was 3.02 GBP, suggesting the DCC premium was 6%.

(Yeah, yeah. Using a card to pay 4 Swiss francs is not a big deal but I wanted to use my shiny new Supercard. :))
  • Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
    9.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're going on holiday abroad this summer and take money out show us your rates!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: [email protected]
  • Roger1Roger1 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Roger1 wrote: »
    I wanted to use my new SuperCard to pay the (grand sum of) 4 CHF on the car park machine. DCC was the only immediate option and 3.20 GBP was the converted amount. ... In the end, SuperCard's conversion was 3.02 GBP, suggesting the DCC premium was 6%.
    Checking my credit card account, I see that four days later they took an additional 7p described as 'Supercard: IC CASH 01'. This makes the total £3.09 for CHF 4, so making the apparent DCC mark-up about 3.6%.

There's no mention of the surcharge or amendment in the SuperCard account on my mobile. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides