Changing eating habits.

Replies

• dekaspacedekaspace Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes that was my plan, just need to find something to store as have mostly carrier bags as chuck out plastic containers.
  • thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slightly puzzled as to why you think milk might cause problems, dekaspace? Unless, like me, you're lactose-intolerant? I don't use the stuff myself, but my OH & grown-up family all do, & they're all healthy & sensible weights-for-height.

One of my kids does have sleep problems (amongst others; she's on the Autism spectrum) and one strategy that's helped her enormously is not to eat anything past 8pm. She's been doing this, as well as avoiding added sugars, for a few months now & is able to get up & eat breakfast at a "normal" time now, and this in turn has helped her mood & concentration problems. We are all different, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for others, but your current diet & eating pattern clearly isn't doing you any favours. Wishing you good luck experimenting & finding out what works best for you!
    Angie

GC May 22 £559.28/£550 - ah well...
    2022 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 9/71

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am autistic too, before life got complicated with me my general eating pattern was 5pm-8pm most days and 9pm at latest, then in early 20s when I wasn't out of bed till around 11/12 every day that time slipped to like 6pm-9pm and 10pm at very latest, even drinking soft drinks I stopped by about 10.30.

With milk I can drink it but when in high doses I feel a little groggy a few hours later and like theres water rolling about in my belly.
    Barely eaten today, had a small mars bar around lunchtime, subway at 3pm, small tuna salad bowl around 6.30 and hungry now, was going to make some burgers but didnt get properly home to about 15 minutes ago so its either starve until morning or eat now.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    32.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Barely eaten today, had a small mars bar around lunchtime, subway at 3pm, small tuna salad bowl around 6.30 and hungry now, was going to make some burgers but didnt get properly home to about 15 minutes ago so its either starve until morning or eat now.
    Do you never eat breakfast?
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Do you never eat breakfast?

To be fair pollycat he's not usually awake much before mid day

He admits to going to bed between 1 and 3 and needing 8 to 10 hours
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    32.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    suki1964 wrote: »
    To be fair pollycat he's not usually awake much before mid day

He admits to going to bed between 1 and 3 and needing 8 to 10 hours
    Ah! I missed that. :o

So the mars bar at lunchtime would really be breakfast - still not a great option though (imho).
    5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't eat sweets everyday but since cutting out the sugary drinks now and again I crave a sugary sweet.

In the end I had a cupasoup and 2 pork burgers in bread, actually feel fine today all things considered but not eaten yet.
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The things you crave are often the things that are the worst for you... whilst a little of what you fancy might do you good, the operative word there is "little". It's possible that changing your dietary habits - and habits are what they are - might help you achieve a more "normal" sleep pattern. You might try eating more fresh fruit & veg, and less processed food - which includes supermarket bread, biscuits & cakes, as well as cup-a-soup - and use the time you currently have available to build up a repertoire of cheap, healthy recipes? Jack Munro's Cooking on a Bootstrap site has lots of ideas. HM soup's really not hard & can be very delicious.

Also, could you try to bring your meals forward a bit? Just a little bit every now & then would help.

Personally, I suspect that drinks containing sugar substitutes are probably nearly as damaging as overdosing on sugar itself. Water quenches thirst best - if you don't like the taste straight out of the tap, try keeping a jug in the fridge & squeezing a drop of lemon juice into your glass before adding some cold water. Makes your tongue tingle! But also makes you feel very alive... Anyway, not wanting to lecture, my ideas are just that - my ideas, and won't suit everyone or their lifestyles! But you yourself have recognised the need for change.
    Angie

5.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can honestly say that was the first cup a soup I had in a long time, maybe 12 months and one before that was years ago.

I was trying to change when I crave food from large heavy things to a portion of soup, meal to a sandwich etc.

I feel like a lazy day today as was up at 10am and out till 20 minutes ago at a all day comics event, did have a subway at 11.30 and a mini chicken burger at 3pm with a ice cream but thats all I have eaten so far today and last time I ate a takeaway I think was Tuesday last week (not counting Subway as a takeaway in the same sense)

Cravings its more that I want a balance, if I am starving I want something like bread with some flavour to balance it out so essentialy a kebab with no meat just the sauce and salad.

As a snack I want something like a small chocolate bar but can handle something like a cereal bar (but I know they are packed with sugar and calories in themselves)
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems you're very much at the mercy of your hunger, which you're sensibly trying to get under control. I'm wondering whether you can fit some routine into your days and try to plan meals, prepare and eat them before you get to the starving/craving stage? It'd be much easier to eat more healthily and also better for your budget.

And for snacks; how about flapjack, or home-made hobnobs? Both are high in oats, which will keep you feeling fuller for longer. You can reduce the sugar a bit without affecting the taste, or even make savoury flapjacks with cheese & seeds instead of sugar & syrup. If you make it yourself, you're in charge of how much sugar & calories you're taking in.
    Angie

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides