Currency company Ace-FX blames technical glitch as 1,000 customers see pre-Brexit tra

edited 29 June 2016 at 2:16PM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
20 replies 3.4K views
Former_MSE_FayeFormer_MSE_Faye Former MSE
147 Posts
Holidaymakers have lost out on hundreds of pounds after currency exchange company Ace-FX cancelled 1,000 orders...
Read the full story:
'Currency company Ace-FX blames technical glitch as 1,000 customers see pre-Brexit transactions cancelled'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
Get Martin's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Replies

• michaelsmichaels Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I bet had the vote and the pound gone the other way Ace-FX would have fulfilled all the orders and pocketed the extra profits.

Effectively by cancelling the orders they had a one way bet on sterling movements. Despite the T&Cs this smacks of fraud.
    I think....
  • This is the worry of the Uber philosophy.

You think it's cheap, and a great deal, until the driver has to slow down, and there are no brakes.
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Bizarrely, Ace-FX promised to "make up any losses" by offering preferential exchange rates for life to affected customers if they use the firm's services in future.
    Has anyone tested this yet?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • edited 29 June 2016 at 5:04PM
    YolinaYolina Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    edited 29 June 2016 at 5:04PM
    They cancelled on Friday morning the order I had for CHF but there was no mention of any future preferential rate for life on their email, just to contact them if I still wished to get currency at the current rate and if so they would do their best to accommodate (!) erm, no thanks.... Apparently their website shouldn't have let me put an order, but did so due to an "error". Yeah, right, like I'm going to believe that one.

Needless to say, I shan't be using their services again.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • Kernow666Kernow666 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    that's what people get from dealing with a company like this just for the sake of a few extra euros / dollars / etc
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • edited 29 June 2016 at 5:07PM
    YolinaYolina Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    edited 29 June 2016 at 5:07PM
    Kernow666 wrote: »
    that's what people get from dealing with a company like this just for the sake of a few extra euros / dollars / etc

The difference would currently be about £70 on what I was looking to exchange so although I agree that it's not a particularly massive amount in the great scheme of things, I would rather have it in my pocket that not ;)

I don't think the point is so much about the few quid here and there but more that they were happy to take the orders and then simply decided not to honour them.

Edit: here's the full email I received from them:

"Due to the referendum and the huge fluctuations in the market we are unable to honour your order

Our website should not have allowed you to place any orders for this time but unfortunately an error occurred allowing you to do so

I understand the frustration this may cause but unfortunately ACE-FX holds the right to restrict any currency or order and cancel any order as per our Terms and Conditions

If you wish to still collect currency at the current rates please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you

Once again we apologise for the inconvenience this may cause

Kind Regards,
    ACE-FX"
  • This happened myself and my partner. I placed my currency order on Thursday 23rd June at 05.50. My partner placed her order at 06.05. We received all order numbers and delivery confirmation emails. This was one hour before EU Referendum voting started.

Funds for both transactions were taken from our account on Friday 24th June. Delivery was confirmed for the Saturday.

At 23.54 on the Friday we both received cancellation emails stating "EU referendum caused our website to crash" etc etc.

Extremely disappointed and question if the EU result had gone the other way, would these orders have been honoured? Hmmmm......

We have lodged a formal complaint with ACE-FX and await their response.

It would be interesting to know the details of other let down customers timings and responses, to see how they all fit together.
  • Sounds well dodgy
    I refer to my byline below ...

Ad hominem
    An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their arguement or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.
  • edited 29 June 2016 at 9:09PM
    YolinaYolina Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    edited 29 June 2016 at 9:09PM
    £mem0616 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know the details of other let down customers timings and responses, to see how they all fit together.

I only ordered late on Thursday night for collection on Monday afternoon. Also because I was going to pay when collecting, no funds were taken.
    I got the confirmation email shortly after ordering and the cancellation email by 11am Friday morning.

Good luck, I hope you get somewhere with the formal complaint :)
  • Hi everyone.

Ace-FX has just Tweeted us: "All customers have received full refunds and we are now in the process of compensating each customer."

When pressed on details, the firm added: "We are directly working with each customer to compensate them for any direct losses."

Affected customers, let us know whether you hear from the firm over the coming days - and if you do, what they're offering you.

Many thanks.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides