Is Brexit Good Or Bad For Disabled?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
6 replies 2.1K views
Roxy07Roxy07 Forumite
498 Posts
Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
I'm not sure? Europe has some good disabled laws.. But we bet rid of the awful IDS and Osbourne..

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I don't think brexit per se has much effect on the disabled, and I imagine that IDS will be back as head of the dwp in the new tory govt.
  • tomtom256tomtom256 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah cause them European laws have been a god send with welfare reform.
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    It depends on a couple of things. Whether there's an election/how secure the Tories are, and whether or not there's a recession.

I'm worried for the NHS. I also think harsher welfare reform is on it's way.

Not because of Brexit per se, but because the side of the Tory party that's about to be in the ascendancy wants to roll back the welfare state. Brexit could provide conditions which give them an excuse.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • tomtontomtomtontom
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A govt formed by Boris will make Cameron's cuts seem small fry. I have no doubt there is worse to come.

I'm worried for the existence of the NHS full stop. These people have made no secret of their wish to sell it off.

Plus if the Human Rights Act is repealed and the right to a fair trial is lost that would give them scope to disband the benefit appeals system.

The main people that will suffer through Brexit are the vulnerable, be that through disability, race or low income. They've always been the easiest to attack, and now it's just got that little bit easier.
  • CTcelt1988CTcelt1988 Forumite
    257 Posts
    Expect the PIP cuts which were scrapped, to be reinstated.
  • nkomp18nkomp18 Forumite
    193 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    With so many qualified high earning taxpayers abandoning the country, I am sure they'll have to make additional cuts to all benefits and pensions.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals