ppi part claim

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
8 replies 1.6K views
hammerman1hammerman1 Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
have tried to find out if I had ppi with the Halifax and they say no but did not want to take there answer as gospel as the mortgage was 25 yrs ago and was with the Leeds permanent building society that was taken over by the Halifax around 2006 so went through to the ombudsman route as the Halifax said this was there final response. my question is the ombudsman wanted both named persons signatures on the request form but I told them that we have been divorced over 20+ years ago and I don't know where she is but the ombudsman said they cannot progress without the other persons signature but I also managed to claim previous ppi with another mortgage that I had with Santander and I also was in the same situation in that I did not have contact with my ex and did not want to be penalised for not having this information but did expect my half of the claim and they saw sense and paid me my half of the entitlement. sorry to ramble but I only want my half of the possible claim but the ombudsman will not progress this without the 2 signatures

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Many providers wont accept a PPI complaint without two signatures either. However, as Halifax say you didnt have PPI, they dont have to worry about it.

Even if the FOS were to look at the case, they would contact Halifax and ask them to check again and let them know if you had it. Halifax would almost certainly say there is no evidence of it and that would be game over.

The FOS is an independent arbiter of complaints. As things stand, you are complaining about something you don't appear to have had.
  • magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Halifax Building Society took over the Leeds Permanent Building Society in 1995, not 2006.
  • Hi

The reason for me doubting the Halifax is right from the start (taking over the Leeds and possibly there claims) they put up barriers stating we would`nt have records that go back that far and when I requested a leaflet and sent it off they came back with "we have looked through our historical records" and you didn't have PPI when I then requested a copy of the paperwork in which they based there answer and even said I would pay for it they gave me some jargon but no copy so from there that`s why I decided to go down the Ombudsman route
  • edited 21 June 2016 at 9:44PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 21 June 2016 at 9:44PM
    They can't give you the "paperwork" if , 25 years on, it hasn't been stored. You can indeed pay £10 and make a Subject Access Request (SAR). This will net everything they have kept on file for you. This should set your mind at rest when it returns nothing.
    Otherwise, you'll have to contact your former partner and let the Ombudsman also very very likely return...nothing.
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need evidence that you had PPI, and you haven't got it. If you send a SAR and there is nothing left, which is hardly surprising as it was 25 years ago, then there is nothing left.
    They are only obliged to keep info as long as necessary so they have done nothing wrong.

As suggested, you could send a SAR and £10 and find nothing, you could send a SAR and they might find something, but then there is the additonal hurdle of needing two signatures, which again, they can insist on.
    It's not looking viable.
  • societys_childsocietys_child Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    -taff wrote: »
    . . . then there is the additonal hurdle of needing two signatures, which again, they can insist on.
    Not to mention yet another hurdle.
    What would the complaint be about the MPPI ? (IF there was any attached to the mortgage)
    It's not looking viable.
    Indeed.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason for me doubting the Halifax is right from the start (taking over the Leeds and possibly there claims) they put up barriers stating we would`nt have records that go back that far and when I requested a leaflet and sent it off they came back with "we have looked through our historical records" and you didn't have PPI when I then requested a copy of the paperwork in which they based there answer and even said I would pay for it they gave me some jargon but no copy so from there that`s why I decided to go down the Ombudsman route

Those are not barriers. That is information that is designed to save time.
    even said I would pay for it they gave me some jargon but no copy so from there that`s why I decided to go down the Ombudsman route

What they give you is what they hold. That may be minimal given the long timescale and it is only required to be in the format they hold it. If nothing appears on there then the FOS won't magic up any information.
  • VectisVectis Forumite
    524 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    On what basis do you think you are due a refund?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Autumn Budget 2021:

Cuts to alcohol & air passenger duties

MSE News

Free Wills Month

For those aged 55+

MSE Guides