Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

The "have a look at this!" thread II - Page 1862

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

The "have a look at this!" thread II

28.6K replies 3.5M views

Replies

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    31.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the picture of in pic 7? Looks like a fossilised fish.

It's the Egyptian sun god Ra in one of his two boats.

In that sense he was a bit like John Prescott, who had two Jags, but unlike him, people believed that the sun shone out of his bottom. :)
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Stay Aloof....Confuse the Public....Risk Lives.
  • DaftyDuckDaftyDuck Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eugh!

How did it get to look so filthy?

With all that stuff scattered everywhere - I've just picked up the message of "Desperate to sell - make low offer". Never ever have a house looking like its "gotta go and go Right Now" if you want the best price for it imo.

I dont tend to believe in low offers. But that house had me thinking straight off "Offer £150k for it". If it were mine - I'd have cleared it/sent in a gang of cleaners for special one-off clean and hired a gardener to tidy up. Worth it - to get some thousands of £s extra for it.

As Dave says, plus it's only recently come to market, so agent may well re-do photographs. The contents is obviously being sorted, there's a mixture of lovely old furniture, and cheap fill-in bits, combined with stool for shower and elderly paperwork. That pair of burr-wood single beds... hmmm...

It's possibly a sad ending to a life, but there's nothing wrong with the house. If it doesn't sell before it's been cleared, I'd bet the agent redoes the photos. For the type of buyer who'll want it, even doing the garden would be a waste.

Where the agent has dropped a blooper is no photo of the rear-garden view...
  • bouicca21bouicca21 Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I was a student several decades ago a friend had a room with exposed brickwork - new built and designed that way. The slightly uneven surface was nothing but an endless series of dust traps - and really hard to dust at that. I swore off exposed brickwork ...
  • bouicca21bouicca21 Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    a sad ending to a life

I have a relative who lives a long way away and whose house is in a worse state than that one. I desperately hope that he's made a will and left it to someone else, and that I will never have to sort it out.
  • nubbinsnubbins Forumite
    725 posts
    Link detached? Pretty sure bedroom 3 shares a common wall!

"A link-detached property or house is a term given to residential units that share no common walls with another house or dwelling. They are, however, typically linked together by a garage"

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54314911.html
  • moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention PPR
    17.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    When I was a student several decades ago a friend had a room with exposed brickwork - new built and designed that way. The slightly uneven surface was nothing but an endless series of dust traps - and really hard to dust at that. I swore off exposed brickwork ...

Never mind dusting - every time I spot exposed brickwork I think "How on earth would I be supposed to paint that?:eek:". It just feels like it would get so dirty. As for having exposed brickwork near a cooker:eek::eek::eek:
  • moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention PPR
    17.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nubbins wrote: »
    Link detached? Pretty sure bedroom 3 shares a common wall!

"A link-detached property or house is a term given to residential units that share no common walls with another house or dwelling. They are, however, typically linked together by a garage"

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54314911.html

Oh dear....EA's are a right pain with the way they keep describing houses as having a different "status" to what they actually do.

Sometimes its down to a house used to be "whatever its being described as" and thats inexcusable enough. But to describe a house as a "status" it has never been since the day the builder signed it off is :naughty:.
  • Dandie89Dandie89 Forumite
    369 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-54532273.html

Half a million for a furnished shed :lipsrseal
  • edited 14 June 2016 at 10:51AM
    Liz1966Liz1966 Forumite
    122 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    edited 14 June 2016 at 10:51AM
    I'm not even sure what I'm looking at in the second photo:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58829957.html
  • ClutterfreeClutterfree Forumite
    3.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Liz1966 wrote: »
    I'm not even sure what I'm looking at in the second photo:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58829957.html

:eek: Good grief - money can't buy taste!
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support