NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

MSE News: Android users now able to buy everyday items with a tap of their phone

in Mobiles
13 replies 1.7K views
2»

Replies

• martin2345ukmartin2345uk Forumite
    835 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite

From a locked iPhone you double click the home button to activate Apple Pay, authenticate with your fingerprint (the reader is in the home button), only then does it turn on the NFC part to make a purchase.

You don't even need to double click the home button - just hold the sleeping phone next to the contactless terminal and it will wake and prompt for your fingerprint.
  • Topper1900Topper1900 Forumite
    79 Posts
    With Android Pay on my Samsung Galaxy S4 all you need to do is wake the phone up i.e. press the home button, then place the phone near the contactless reader, no finger print/pin no etc required. Surprisingly it's as insecure as a contactless debit/credit card up to £30.

Oddly Android insist you have a pin or swipe lock code before you can use Android Pay so I assumed you need to unlock your phone but just waking it up is sufficient. How long before the first Android Pay user appears in the national press complaining that their phone was used in several shops etc to pay for goods after they lost their phone?
  • usernameusername Forumite
    539 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    This Chinese restaurant keeps trying to put me off using Contactless.
    Two days ago it was: "You won't get a printed receipt if you pay by Contactless."
    A load of rubbish - they just need to learn how to use their card terminal. All of them can print a cardholder copy of the receipt when using contactless.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals