MSE News: Android users now able to buy everyday items with a tap of their phone

in Mobiles
13 replies 1.7K views
MSE_LukeMSE_Luke MSE Staff
295 Posts
Fourth Anniversary
MSE Staff
Millions more people in the UK will now be able to make everyday purchases with a tap of their smartphone...
Read the full story:
'Android users now able to buy everyday items with a tap of their phone'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• mobilejunkiemobilejunkie Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    And millions of us won't...
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    And millions of us won't...

Some fool waves his phone in Greggs and buys everyone lunch .
  • This Chinese restaurant keeps trying to put me off using Contactless.
    Two days ago it was: "You won't get a printed receipt if you pay by Contactless."

I just want to get my TSB 5% Contactless cashback.
    If this increases the merchants I can use, great.
    If it overcomes the need to use the PIN from time to time, even better.

Funnily enough, just upgraded to a new SONY phone, with NFC.
    The previous phone was from maybe three years ago, no NFC.
    Miss the old phone already, because the battery lasted at least five days. The new phone is two days if I don't use it. I don't know, if it's scanning for payment stations all the time, doesn't it drain the battery even quicker?
    8.5K Posts
    I've just complained to TSB about that. Every two or three times I use my debit card it insists on putting into the reader - hence no 5% even though the money goes out 6 weeks sooner than my credit card. I refuse to use the card so miss out on the 5% (which I would anyway if I used the reader) and revert to a credit card which is what I usually use. Can't use it anyway for more than £30. Waste of space. Using a phone would be worse.
  • MarkthesharkMarktheshark Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I bank with Santander, they are still using stone tablets as cheques.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
    8.5K Posts
    I left them recently after another complaint. Made money on the switch and get a much better account at Clydesdale.
  • edited 20 May 2016 at 2:27PM
    ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 May 2016 at 2:27PM
    The new phone is two days if I don't use it. I don't know, if it's scanning for payment stations all the time, doesn't it drain the battery even quicker?

Turn off NFC in settings until you need it!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sony.easyconnect

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.ac.ait.hbs.nfc.widget

• Pincher wrote: »
    Funnily enough, just upgraded to a new SONY phone, with NFC.
    The previous phone was from maybe three years ago, no NFC.
    Miss the old phone already, because the battery lasted at least five days. The new phone is two days if I don't use it. I don't know, if it's scanning for payment stations all the time, doesn't it drain the battery even quicker?
    With an iPhone, you double click the "home" button, place your finger on it to read your fingerprint, then it turns on NFC and prompts you to place the phone on the reader. Once the transaction is confirmed it turns off NFC, which in any case times out after a minute.

I guess Sony will do a similar thing with NFC.
  • With an iPhone, you double click the "home" button, place your finger on it to read your fingerprint, then it turns on NFC and prompts you to place the phone on the reader. Once the transaction is confirmed it turns off NFC, which in any case times out after a minute.

The article seems to suggest it's active all the time:

"How do I use it?

To make purchases of under £30 you'll be able to pay via Android Pay without even unlocking your phone – although it does have to be 'awake' (Android devices that aren't used for a period of time 'fall asleep', but remain turned on). "

Never mind, TSB (5% cashback) and American Express (1.25% cashback) are not on the list anyway. The whole thing is just more reason for stealing your mobile phone.
  • Pincher wrote: »
    The article seems to suggest it's active all the time:

To make purchases of under £30 you'll be able to pay via Android Pay without even unlocking your phone – although it does have to be 'awake' (Android devices that aren't used for a period of time 'fall asleep', but remain turned on). "
    I don't know how the Google/Android Pay works, but the only iPhones with NFC and Apple Pay are the later ones with a separate secure processor and fingerprint reader. Secure processors can be very secure, strong enough to stop government level hackers reading their contents.

From a locked iPhone you double click the home button to activate Apple Pay, authenticate with your fingerprint (the reader is in the home button), only then does it turn on the NFC part to make a purchase.

I would expect an Android phone with NFC to have a similar level of security, but I don't know...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum