Hugh's War on Waste

edited 4 March 2016 at 11:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
603 replies 71.5K views

Replies

• I bought wonky veg potatoes in my local Morrison's on Monday.5 kg for£2. The assistant told me they were selling them in response to the war on waste programme and that they would be donating their waste food to homeless shelters from next year.
    2012 Saving challenge £1000/£400! Woo! :wave:
  • wishuswishus Forumite
    977 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Oh man! So HFW was reading this thread. Wonder if he saw what I put? :p:lovethoug:grin:
    Still wanna live in a house in the countreeee! Debt-free/£25K paid OFF!
    February 2021 Grocery Challenge £172.98/£200 March grocery challenge £0/£170
  • JustamumJustamum Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gingerjar wrote: »
    I bought wonky veg potatoes in my local Morrison's on Monday.5 kg for£2. The assistant told me they were selling them in response to the war on waste programme and that they would be donating their waste food to homeless shelters from next year.

It looks like HFW has had an effect then :D

• edited 4 March 2016 at 11:31AM
    Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
    9.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2016 at 11:31AM
    Hi everyone!

In case you haven't seen it in the weekly email I thought you might be interested in reading the blog I wrote this week.

I felt it was quite a blow to consumers, especially people on low incomes, that Asda was introducing cheap wonky veg boxes as a trial (now being pushed out to over 500 stores) yet had removed food bank collection boxes, which are such a major part of foodbanks' supplies.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: [email protected]
  • clickerty-clickclickerty-click Forumite
    103 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have seen the wonky veg in Morrison's but I don't think it is being sold on a level playing field with the other goods. I looked at getting the carrots but they were only being sold in 2.5 kg bags not so good when there are only 2 of you. The onions were priced at just a little bit more than the ones that were on this weeks special offer. Call me cynical but I get the feeling that Morrison's are just paying lip service to this so they can say they have reacted to Hugh's war on waste
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen the wonky veg in Morrison's but I don't think it is being sold on a level playing field with the other goods. I looked at getting the carrots but they were only being sold in 2.5 kg bags not so good when there are only 2 of you. The onions were priced at just a little bit more than the ones that were on this weeks special offer. Call me cynical but I get the feeling that Morrison's are just paying lip service to this so they can say they have reacted to Hugh's war on waste
    You're cynical - but I think you're probably right. :)
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonky Veg is their way of marketing it to the middle classes. They don't want to sell it loose, so poor people can choose the amount they want and buy it .... can't have poor people seen in the shop, that wouldn't do at all. The objective is to sell the Wonky Boxes to the middle classes, who then wander along to the booze aisle and buy a small case of champers (for the weekend) as well as a few carefully placed high margin/expensive other desirable items.

They want to talk the talk, not walk the walk ..... they'll be gone if the sales of high end wines doesn't increase.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonky Veg is their way of marketing it to the middle classes. They don't want to sell it loose, so poor people can choose the amount they want and buy it .... can't have poor people seen in the shop, that wouldn't do at all. The objective is to sell the Wonky Boxes to the middle classes, who then wander along to the booze aisle and buy a small case of champers (for the weekend) as well as a few carefully placed high margin/expensive other desirable items.

They want to talk the talk, not walk the walk ..... they'll be gone if the sales of high end wines doesn't increase.
    Oooooh, PasturesNew - you're even more cynical than clickerty-click. :rotfl:

I don't think I'm what you would call 'poor people' (nor am I middle-class and certainly don't drink champagne :D) but I really dislike buying any veg or fruit pre-packed.
    I like to choose my own, depending what I'm using it for I'll buy different size/shapes of carrots, parsnips etc.
    And if I want 2 carrots I don't want to have to buy 1kg.
    If the only choice is pre-packed wonky or loose ordinary, I'd choose the loose.
    I think - like clickerty-click - that Morrisons are just paying lip-service to Hugh's War on Waste.
  • HOWMUCHHOWMUCH Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I buy wonky veg all the time from fruit and veg shop, last week my son got me a Savoy cabbage the size of a football if not bigger 69p. You never see them that size in a supermarket he said because they'd only get 3 in a crate. He should know coz he used to be head a fresh foods at MrT's, he was walking past our fruit and veg shop and stopped and bought it for his frugal mum. It's done us 3 meals so far and there's still 3/8th of it left and keeping lovely in the fridge.
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I usually take a couple of the outside leaves off then wrap a cabbage in tin foil and it keeps very well in the bottom of the fridge.I do the same with broccoli as a head of that is usually too much for me in one go as I to live alone.I cut the thick stalk off and slice it up and freeze it to go into casseroles and then the head of it gets wrapped in tin foil and it will keep fao a good week or ten days (well long enough for me to eat it all) usually about a quarter does me steamed as an accompaniment for my main meal.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals