New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Problems with Thomas Cook bookings

14 replies 10.4K views
FortyfootFortyfoot Forumite
1.9K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭
Beware if you book with Thomas Cook, all works well upto them taking your money from your account.

I was told to do API, then I was told it's not needed. I then tried to book my seats and was sent round in circles. We usually go with Thomsons I wish I had!

The "live chat" seems to have died! RIP

Fortyfoot

Replies

• 1trainer11trainer1 Forumite
    930 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Get your reference number and go on the website and do the API if you want.

all you need is the 6 digit reference and you can do it
    Blessed on 18th February 2014 at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
  • FortyfootFortyfoot Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    1trainer1 wrote: »
    Get your reference number and go on the website and do the API if you want.

all you need is the 6 digit reference and you can do it

Tried it, they say you no longer need to do API but I would like to book my seats which I have paid for.

Fortyfoot
  • 1trainer11trainer1 Forumite
    930 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Fortyfoot wrote: »
    Tried it, they say you no longer need to do API but I would like to book my seats which I have paid for.

Fortyfoot

Go into a store and they will do it for you
    Blessed on 18th February 2014 at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
  • leylandsunaddictleylandsunaddict Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭

Fortyfoot

I know they keep saying it, but I'd love to know how they're going to collect it, unless they either do it at online check in or at the airport for those that can't check in online. It has to collected. It's a legal requirement by the UK govermment for both outbound and inbound flights.
  • FortyfootFortyfoot Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I know they keep saying it, but I'd love to know how they're going to collect it, unless they either do it at online check in or at the airport for those that can't check in online. It has to collected. It's a legal requirement by the UK govermment for both outbound and inbound flights.
    It used to be collected at the airport check in so I suppose they will do it there.

I have just clicked on a link to get through to their customer relations team, this was the result -

"Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
    Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.
    Cookie"

Another response is -

"IMPORTANT BOOKING INFORMATION

If you are travelling between November 2016 and October 2017 and your booking was made with Thomas Cook, Airtours, Style, Manos or Cresta then, due to a technical system error, you cannot access your booking and select your seats. We are working hard to fix this as soon as possible
    If you are flying on a non-Thomas Cook flight i.e Easyjet, Thomsons in summer 2016 and you want to add advanced passenger information (API) to your booking then this will be available to do in February 2016.
    We have been unable to retrieve your booking at this time."

I have just booked today for a holiday at the end of April 2016.

As I said earlier their site works up to the point when they have taken your money! Nothing works after that.

I will no doubt have to go to their shop to sort this out.

Fortyfoot
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    It used to be collected at the airport check in so I suppose they will do it there.

I have just clicked on a link to get through to their customer relations team, this was the result -

"Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
    Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.
    Cookie"

Another response is -

"IMPORTANT BOOKING INFORMATION

If you are travelling between November 2016 and October 2017 and your booking was made with Thomas Cook, Airtours, Style, Manos or Cresta then, due to a technical system error, you cannot access your booking and select your seats. We are working hard to fix this as soon as possible
    If you are flying on a non-Thomas Cook flight i.e Easyjet, Thomsons in summer 2016 and you want to add advanced passenger information (API) to your booking then this will be available to do in February 2016.
    We have been unable to retrieve your booking at this time."

I have just booked today for a holiday at the end of April 2016.

As I said earlier their site works up to the point when they have taken your money! Nothing works after that.

I will no doubt have to go to their shop to sort this out.

Fortyfoot

The airline site has had more than it's fair share of problems since they had a new system installed. I know stores have been struggling with booking seats as well.

Thomson system still has glitches, and their new system was put in around the middle of last year. Hopefully TCs won't take as long.
  • stephb34stephb34 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flew with TC last week if you check in online 24hrs-2hrs before you fly then you add your passport info before you can print out your boarding passes. If you check in at the airport then they take the info then. Api is generally not required to be done for short or mid haul TC flights only long haul since they have had this new website. They are having teething problems with it, but generally if it wont let you select seats try again tomorrow. They say unless you are going in the next 14 days there's no need to panic. The shops will assist if you pop in. Usually when everythings working you can pick your seats as soon as the booking is made, you can't with Thompsons if you've paid you have to wait until 90 days before, then its a free for all on that day, at least with TC its staggered.
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    stephb34 wrote: »
    Flew with TC last week if you check in online 24hrs-2hrs before you fly then you add your passport info before you can print out your boarding passes. If you check in at the airport then they take the info then. Api is generally not required to be done for short or mid haul TC flights only long haul since they have had this new website. They are having teething problems with it, but generally if it wont let you select seats try again tomorrow. They say unless you are going in the next 14 days there's no need to panic. The shops will assist if you pop in. Usually when everythings working you can pick your seats as soon as the booking is made, you can't with Thompsons if you've paid you have to wait until 90 days before, then its a free for all on that day, at least with TC its staggered.

The problem is TC are telling people that API isn't required, when it is. I had one employee telling me that it wasn't required for Spain!! They need to make it clear that it is required, they just don't need it in advance. If you check in at the airport be prepared for slower queues. Talk about a backwards step.
  • stephb34stephb34 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem is TC are telling people that API isn't required, when it is. I had one employee telling me that it wasn't required for Spain!! They need to make it clear that it is required, they just don't need it in advance. If you check in at the airport be prepared for slower queues. Talk about a backwards step.

I suppose it depends how you interpret isn't required.
    Most customers are only interested in knowing if they need to do something ie Api on the website before travel, they don't give a monkies if the check in girl does it at the airport, except they will if it makes the queues longer.
    Its not just staff that say its not required it states on Manage my booking No api required for this destination.
    Queue at east mids the Saturday of half term was quick enough, couldn't say the same for coming home.
  • Moto2Moto2 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    That's if you check in baggage, I never do - even with TCs miserly 5kg
    Wonder how they manage that?
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support