Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

How many watches do you own?

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

How many watches do you own?

edited 20 February 2016 at 3:48PM in The Money Savers Arms
40 replies 3.6K views
DreamnineDreamnine Forumite
8.4K posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 20 February 2016 at 3:48PM in The Money Savers Arms
if any.

I've always loved watches, old and new, mechanical, digital, cheap or expensive.

Currently I have 4 which I'm happy with; I wouldn't wish to add to these but could see my swapping one out for something different.

I know that now with the time constantly displayed on phones, tablets, PCs and other devices, many no longer wear a watch.
I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
Lou Reed The Last Shot

Replies

• OblivionOblivion Forumite
    20.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love watches but I do have a terrible history of breaking wrist watches. Despite that, I do have a large collection of wrist watches that do still work but just need a new battery.

I am also the proud owner of these two 19th century beauties ...

44188114.1898SilverFusee_10.jpg
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • DreamnineDreamnine Forumite
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oblivion wrote: »
    I love watches but I do have a terrible history of breaking wrist watches. Despite that, I do have a large collection of wrist watches that do still work but just need a new battery.

I am also the proud owner of these two 19th century beauties ...

44188114.1898SilverFusee_10.jpg

Those are very nice.

Old batteries tend to corrode when not replaced, so you may want to replace them in the watches you care about otherwise damage can occur.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • prosaverprosaver Forumite
    7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    3 watches
    digital sports watch.. gym and mostly worn
    gold plated bracelet, one for the chicks
    and a watch for doing odds jobs
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • three silver and one gold, the gold one was a 21st birthday present from my grandmother, one silver watch was a present from my mother but I cant wear any metal on my wrist as it bring out an allergy

don't wear any leather products

wear a rubber fit bit watch during the day and even that gives me a sore wrist but its worth it to see how many miles ive walked and I find my sleep pattern fascinating...even if nobody else does
  • I own three functional ones, one more needs a strap, a second needs a new battery. I also technically have a further one which was my Dads but that's not one I'm entirely sure about the condition of but I'd surmise that it requires at least a service.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • mattytunmattytun Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    None zero ziltch..................................never had a watch for years.:o
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • comeandgocomeandgo Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No watches, I hate anything around my wrists, just look at my mobile phone for the time if not in car or house.
  • I too am very "heavy" with wrist watches - previously even my "dress" watches managed to get severely scratched/chipped or similar. :o
    So much so that nowadays I purposely get the cheapest semi-decent-looking watch I can and - if it is lucky enough to reach the age when it needs a battery - I just buy another. ;)
    These last few years, Argos have been ideal with el-cheapo Limit types. :D

It breaks my heart when I manage to ruin a good watch.
    Though I do currently possess one of these :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosendahl-Digital-43107-Stainless-Polyurathane/dp/B002KFZN78
    I don't often dare wear it!
    :rotfl:
  • I have one gold (plated) Seiko Vivace with little diamond chips where the numbers would be, barring the 12 and the 6. Lovely watch, wear it all the time. It was a gift from the firm on my 50th birthday. Before that, I wore the watch I inherited when Mum died, but it was emotional attachment, I couldn't read it, too small. I also inherited my grandmother's gold watch (not plated) but it's too small on my wrist and no longer works.

My husband has a nice green-faced round watch with a webbing strap for everyday and a Hugo Boss presented to him by our son for special events. He also has a fake Rolex brought back from China as a joke by a friend. Oh yes, and I bought him a Birmingham City watch years ago for a laugh. The latter two are not worn.

Now if you asked me about jewellery, my answer would be considerably different!
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • edited 23 February 2016 at 2:08PM
    Kernow666Kernow666 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2016 at 2:08PM
    7 In total

ranging from £50 to £2500

Casio G-Shock
    Casio Ediface
    Seiko Kinetic
    Seiko sportura Barcelona edition
    Tissot V8 chronograph
    Omega Sea master planet ocean
    Omega 007 - the world is not enough ltd edition
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support