Forum Home» Energy

MSE News: More collective energy switches launch – how do they stack up?

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: More collective energy switches launch – how do they stack up?

edited 16 February 2016 at 8:34PM in Energy
44 replies 8.8K views
MSE_LukeMSE_Luke MSE Staff
295 posts
Fourth Anniversary
MSE Staff
edited 16 February 2016 at 8:34PM in Energy
More collective switches have been launched. But how do they stack up and compare with MSE's own Big Switch Event 4?...
Read the full story:
'More collective energy switches launch – how do they stack up?'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• Biscuit_TinBiscuit_Tin Forumite
    754 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    We asked Ichoosr for details on the supplier and the cost of the tariff but it refused to tell us.
    Well I can't give you details of prices ... which will vary regionally anyway I guess, but here are the winners:

Winner(s) of the Auction

There are three winners in this auction:
    SSE, E.ON Energy and Ovo Energy.

SSE:
    Dual fuel, fixed price, monthly direct debit, online billing
    Dual fuel, fixed price, monthly direct debit, paper billing

E.ON Energy:
    Electricity only, fixed price, monthly direct debit, paper billing
    Electricity-only, fixed price, monthly direct debit, online billing

Ovo Energy:
    Dual fuel, prepayment
    Electricity-only, prepayment

https://bigcommunityswitch.ichoosr.com/home/faq.rails?actionId=443&qamenuitemId=183&qaId=794
  • Biscuit_TinBiscuit_Tin Forumite
    754 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Comparison site Energy Helpline is running another collective switch which is open to its 130,000 members - unfortunately this deal's not available if you're not already a member.

Try this:

http://www.greatbritishcollective.co.uk

:)
  • I am currently with Eon v19 fixed for 1year.

The MSE switch showed a saving of £29 + £30 cash back but exit fees would be £60 ,so £1 worse, and with BG not my favourite supplier.

So along comes the collective switch from Energyhelpline, this time for me the best deal was with Eon and saved me £42 and gives me 2 months extra fix, also no exit fees .

Although I have registered with ichooser from the post above it would seem that I would need to go to SSE. I will wait until they send me an e-mail with their tariffs but it would mean exit charge again, so I doubt if it will be better than the EHL deal.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much for Ofgem's declared intention of making tariffs simpler for Mr and Mrs Average to understand.

We now have companies offering their(max) of four tariffs, with standing charges varying from zero to £100? pa per fuel.
    Different discounts for dual fuel and payment method. Varying length of a fixed term and varying penalties for leaving early.

Now we have a host of 'collective' tariffs(there will be more!) to superimpose on top of the above. To be eligible for these you must register with the appropriate organisation and give details of all personal information down to what you ate for Sunday lunch! These tariffs might or might not offer cashback.

It is still possible for some people to get the cheapest deal by taking different fuels from different suppliers. However some tariffs e.g. BG's new collective has the cheapest electricity prices, but not cheap gas, - but it is duel fuel only.
  • edited 17 February 2016 at 3:07AM
    gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 February 2016 at 3:07AM
    Comparison site Energy Helpline is running another collective switch which is open to its 130,000 members - unfortunately this deal's not available if you're not already a member.
    Try this:

http://www.greatbritishcollective.co.uk

Can anyone remember if the Great British Collective were also offering £15/fuel cashback? I thought it did.

Certainly,at least one of the other brands taking part in the same Energy Helpline switch is offering such cash back - which the MSE article falls to mention.
  • vettieboovettieboo Forumite
    139 posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    Can anyone remember if the Great British Collective were also offering £15/fuel cashback? I thought it did.

Certainly,at least one of the other brands taking part in the same Energy Helpline switch is offering such cash back - which the MSE article falls to mention.

I've chosen to go with the Tariff Team (EHL deal) after seeing it on Free Postcode Lottery, they do offer £15 cashback per fuel if you do it online. Had to be signed up before the closing date of their announcement of the tariffs though. So factoring in their cashback I saved more going with them than MSE.
  • Your forgetting one - the collective from the freepostcodelottery site - that is also offering £30 cashback for dual fuel ........... and much cheaper than the MSE collective (£155 cheaper for my tariff)

http://switch.tariffteam.com/tariffteam_collective
  • KTFKTF Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your forgetting one - the collective from the freepostcodelottery site - that is also offering £30 cashback for dual fuel ........... and much cheaper than the MSE collective (£155 cheaper for my tariff)

http://switch.tariffteam.com/tariffteam_collective
    Its almost like they were selective with their comparison to make their deal look better ;)
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_MalcE.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    FOREVER21 wrote: »
    I am currently with Eon v19 fixed for 1year.

The MSE switch showed a saving of £29 + £30 cash back but exit fees would be £60 ,so £1 worse, and with BG not my favourite supplier.

So along comes the collective switch from Energyhelpline, this time for me the best deal was with Eon and saved me £42 and gives me 2 months extra fix, also no exit fees .

Although I have registered with ichooser from the post above it would seem that I would need to go to SSE. I will wait until they send me an e-mail with their tariffs but it would mean exit charge again, so I doubt if it will be better than the EHL deal.

Morning FOREVER21

You're right, moving to another supplier from our Fixed 1 Year version 19 tariff will leave you open to an exit fee of £30 per fuel. This only stops if the Price Protection window is open. As this is 49 days before the tariff ends and version 19 is a recent tariff, it won't apply for quite a time yet. There are, though, no exit fees for moving from one E.ON Tariff to another. This includes the collective tariffs we're involved with although, as I mentioned in another thread yesterday, customers wanting one of these need to apply through the relevant switching site.

Hope this is of interest.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your forgetting one - the collective from the freepostcodelottery site - that is also offering £30 cashback for dual fuel ........... and much cheaper than the MSE collective (£155 cheaper for my tariff)

I think the Energy Helpline collective was offered under several diferent brand names/websites including the Great British Collective and Tariff Team - and I think they all also offered £15/fuel cashback
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support