Abbey Refund nightmare

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
3 replies 698 views
Bedlington_TerrierBedlington_Terrier Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
We have a loan and the payemnt is made by debit card monthly due to varying pay dates. We rang the loan comapny, made payment and thought everything was fine until we checked the online statement and found that the loan company had taken out a further £276 on top of our monthly payment.
We spoke to the loan company who told us that Abbey would claim it back for us and to contact them. We did.
A helpful woman told me she would start the process and it would take 2-4 weeks. I was slightly annoyed that it could take that time, the amount is a lot for us with one wage and three kids.
After two weeks I thought I'd check on progress, at which point Abbey told me that it appeared nothing had happened due to an error. Don't worry they said we'll put it through again, it will take 2-4 weeks!
Today, 4 weeks and 3 days from first report my wife rang again. Abbey said "We haven't any record of that", don't worry we'll fill it in now and it could take ...:mad: :mad: :mad: .......2-4 weeks!!!!
I ring them and they say sorry but Head Office are dealing.
I intend to go to the Ombudsman but could do with any similar experiences.

Thanks
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Replies

• MikeyorksMikeyorks Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally confused as to why 'Abbey would claim it back'. Unless, of course, this is a Direct Debit and you're invoking the guarantee. In which case, I'm then totally confused as to why you're paying it by Debit Card.

If, on the other hand, the extra payment has been claimed by the loan company using the Debit Card data ............. the refund is absolutely nothing to do with Abbey.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree you pay a loan off at an agreed date monthly by direct debit.
    Sounds like a fishy troll story to me.
  • MikeyorksMikeyorks Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejones999 wrote: »
    ........... a fishy troll .......

I always thought a Bedlington was a dog ;) ..... but suspect you're right. Always flinch a bit at first time posters these days (we should ban them .. no posting until you have experience!) ...... but got a bit suckered into the reply.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides