January 2016 Grocery Challenge - Page 39

New Post Advanced Search

January 2016 Grocery Challenge

edited 5 January 2016 at 5:29PM in Old Style MoneySaving
843 replies 56.3K views

Replies

• IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I amazed myself, as when I got to supermarket car park, I realised I,d forgotten my food shopping purse, so went back home to get it rather than 'bung it in the card' - I even stuck to my list :T

Spent £25 in Aldo, which includes £9 on a lock and lock box and a pair of soup mugs, so food wise £16 for weeks shopping :T:T. I will include the whole amount as GC though.

Off to update signature :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • edited 7 January 2016 at 1:37PM
    FoxFaceFoxFace Forumite
    321 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 7 January 2016 at 1:37PM
    jlhmd666 wrote: »
    Have you got a recipe for that please? Sounds nice :)

I don't really use recipes, but I can tell you what I did :)

1 onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 tin chick peas, drained
    1 tin coconut milk
    small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 1in)
    2tbl of tomato puree
    3 tbl Curry powder (I used medium, but whatever you have/like)
    1tsp dried coriander
    ½bag spinach

I have literally just thrown everything in the SC, except the coconut milk and spinach, which I will add nearer the end as I have read that coconut milk can curdle and spinach takes no time to wilt. I have added just enough water to cover it and bunged it on high. I might turn it to low when it looks cooked.

I'm just serving it with some value rice, which I make with cardamom, bay and a pinch of saffron (a bit like a pilau) and some YS 9p T3sco finest naan breads... can't wait! :D

It smells blooming lovely in my house right now! :)
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
    ~Grocery Challenge March: £67.40p/ £80.00p~
  • Another £29 spent today for me but that did include washing detergent, fabric conditioner and toothpaste which I shouldn't need to buy again for a month or two.

Thanks for all the advise and tips on here, I'm really loving this challenge.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #601
  • jlhmd666jlhmd666 Forumite
    543 posts
    FoxFace wrote: »
    I don't really use recipes, but I can tell you what I did :)

1 onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 tin chick peas, drained
    1 tin coconut milk
    small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 1in)
    2tbl of tomato puree
    3 tbl Curry powder (I used medium, but whatever you have/like)
    1tsp dried coriander
    ½bag spinach

I have literally just thrown everything in the SC, except the coconut milk and spinach, which I will add nearer the end as I have read that coconut milk can curdle and spinach takes no time to wilt. I have added just enough water to cover it and bunged it on high. I might turn it to low when it looks cooked.

I'm just serving it with some value rice, which I make with cardamom, bay and a pinch of saffron (a bit like a pilau) and some YS 9p T3sco finest naan breads... can't wait! :D

It smells blooming lovely in my house right now! :)

Thank you for this. I will give it a try :)
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • Very annoying I forgot my lunch for work :(
    Packed it up last night and left it in the fridge so have had to buy food at work... Grrr
    So spent £2.57 today so far so food shop this week is £47.29/£150
    Jan Grocery challenge £96.17/£150 NSD JANUARY 1/15 SPC #60 £79.17 :j #70 Xmas pot £12/333 days:T Virtual sealed pot challenge #22 £10.40/£500 target £2500 overdraft :(
  • I just keep my bag of potatoes in the corner of the kitchen and they don't seem to sprout, however because I buy from the wholesalers I think they maybe start off fresher and have a longer life. The onions I buy in bulk, I hang in the shed in their net - I maybe waste one or two but have hundreds for such a small price.
    I boiled a gammon joint (15 pence reduced from £7) that was in the fridge this morning and wrapped in tin foil to cool. I will slice and portion up later and seal in vacumn seal bags as it will keep longer and stay moist.
    Off to babysit the grandkids now then Mr M Whoopsie shopping at 4.30 until about 8pm.
    Jan 2016 Grocery Challenge £50.95/£200.00
    Pay all your Debt off by Xmas 2016 No. 85 £125/£6000 Emergency Fund £0/£5000
    Lloyds CC £267/£267(PAID IN FULL) Venture £2980/£3000 1st Business £950/£3300 Solicitor Fees £2500 HSBC £60/£7000 IO Mortgage Balance £124,000
  • maria3104maria3104 Forumite
    920 posts
    Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    What a day yesterday was.

Took DS for an operation, then sat a work exam and then whizzed around Li*l.
    Spent £75.72 on groceries, most for fridge and store cupboard.lots of dried fruit and flour for baking, butter, etc. Went a little wild as really I only needed 8 x 4 pints of milk. Am still basking in the afterglow of having 1 orange as food waste over the holidays. Now watch me spectacularly wreck my food planning!
    Updated signature and hoping I can manage to stay within budget for the rest of the month.
  • Was tempted to pop in shop for a few bits today, but changed the menu plan and got something different from the freezer, so another NSD for me:)
    #82 12k in 2018 - £3473.45/£12000 - 28.95%
    Retirement Fund £10850.02/£250000 - 4.34%
    House Fund £2679.13/£50000 - 5.36%
    Travel Fund £199.49/£2500 - 7.98%
  • savingpenniessavingpennies Forumite
    688 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    I had to buy dog food, bread flour and other items for store cupboard. I should only have to buy fresh items now for the rest of the month.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    2020 in 2020: £21
    2020 £2 savers:
    £8
  • edited 7 January 2016 at 8:05PM
    dingdongsavingdingdongsaving Forumite
    595 posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 7 January 2016 at 8:05PM
    Still no spends here yet and still not planning to shop until Sunday when my vouchers can all be used together. :money:

Feeling quietly confident now...on the 1st I thought 9 out of 10 days being nsds sounded unlikely at the start of term when things seem to sneak up on me, but the January meal plan has been efficient and easy so far. :T Phew!

We're aiming to move house in the next 3-6 months and are going on th market this Saturday, so I think this is motivating me to save even more pennies. :)

Edit: just organised my shop to be delivered 8-9pm Sunday...now I'm committed to waiting it out. Haha.