New Post Advanced Search

Diamond hallmark 'DIA'

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
6 replies 15.5K views
BarkeredBarkered Forumite
8 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
Hello!

Hopefully someone knows the answer to this!

- I have a diamond engagement ring with 4 small diamonds and on the inner ring I can see that it's 18k white gold, but there is also a mark relating to the diamonds:

".13 DiA"

Does anyone know, would this be the total for all 4 stones, or would it account for each one?

Many thanks.

Robin.

Replies

• antennaantenna Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Total of all stones...........sorry
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • edited 29 December 2015 at 11:38AM
    74jax74jax Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 December 2015 at 11:38AM
    Dia I think means diameter.

Nothing to do with diamonds as obviously you could swap them etc.

ETA..... A Google says dia means originally sold with diamonds. Not sure that helps. If you type in to Google ' what does my ring tell me' there's loads of about from jewellers.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Hi Robin

I believe that .13 actually refers to the total weight of the diamonds. So your ring has .13 of a carat in diamonds.

DIA is the hallmark confirming that the stones are (or were when the ring was made) Diamonds.

Though on some jewellery you can see a hallmark resembling a “pie chart” or simplified diamond image, if you will. Which I believe also indicates diamonds.

Of course it should go without saying that diamonds are normally only used in higher grade precious metals warranting their own hallmarks. So if these are not also present. It’s unlikely to be diamond(s).

Hope this helps

Chris
  • I guess it refers to the total weight of the diamonds.
  • savvysavvy Forumite, Board Guide
    31.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL].
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to [email protected]. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Rachel83Rachel83 Forumite
    335 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Definitely the total weight of all the stones together.