2016 Broadband Wish List

edited 6 August 2017 at 9:32PM in Broadband & Internet Access
9 replies 828 views
DavidP24DavidP24 Forumite
957 Posts
edited 6 August 2017 at 9:32PM in Broadband & Internet Access
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, porro legendos dissentiet sed ne, pri id postea theophrastus. Altera consequat ne duo, est ei vivendo scaevola. Aeque oblique interesset no !!!. Eu sumo theophrastus sit, augue solet no vel, pro in adipisci pertinacia. Pri probatus principes posidonium et, id tation nostrud dissentiet quo.

Vix torquatos referrentur ne, quodsi melius an eos, ei illum dicam his. Et assum tamquam delenit vim, qui quis congue partiendo cu. In nam debet mentitum, euismod atomorum te usu. His nusquam delicata senserit in, eos ut virtute equidem accumsan.

Ea augue aliquip suavitate sit, sea ei agam qualisque consequuntur. Nec postea tamquam graecis in. Oratio scaevola te nam. Ut nisl legere dolorum pro. Sea no melius sententiae, eam ei alienum mediocritatem.

Eam impetus qualisque ei, autem affert sea ne. Et nihil nullam !!!, vim te sale dictas. At quem mnesarchum eos. Quo quod bonorum tacimates ei, summo di!!!! est cu.

Sumo summo pericula quo in, has ex autem partiendo voluptaria. An !!! oporteat platonem dissentiunt, ullum utinam docendi mei at. Option elaboraret contentiones te his, vim accusamus splendide in. Inani nostrud suscipiantur at pro, ea mei impetus fabulas saperet, eam primis oblique invenire ex. Dico tempor veritus pri no.
Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    Isn't it time Line rental was abolished if you do not use the telephone
    Then the cost of the line and exchange maintenance would be added to the broadband cost and you end up paying the same.
  • FuturisticFuturistic Forumite
    841 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    Then the cost of the line and exchange maintenance would be added to the broadband cost and you end up paying the same.

Along with the cost in the case of Virgin Media having to pay for national upgrades themselves whilst BT/Openreach can ask the council for funding.

I don't mind the price increases, I call and get a better deal than I had every time and VM broadband is great and yes we utilise the 70Mb a lot with several people streaming and downloading
  • beardiedogbeardiedog Forumite
    655 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    What we need is a mechanism to enable us to compare prices equally between the ISPs like that introduced for the power companies, which would help to alleviate the confusion.

Headline price (including line rental) per month with minimum and maximum speeds indicated (not up to speeds) - and no small print to be used as as a get-out clause.

Move everyone possible over to fibre for the same price as ADSL.

No 18 month contracts - max 12 months - upgrades/downgrades within the contract period would not initiate the start of a new contract.

Oh, and UK Call Centres too.

Just a few thoughts :)
  • beardiedogbeardiedog Forumite
    655 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I meant imposed on the ISPs adverts rather than such as uswitch.
  • onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it time Line rental was abolished if you do not use the telephone, I wouldn't mind but they only give you calls at weekends for that disgusting price.

:rotfl:

If you're not renting the line, can they disconnect it at the cabinet since you don't want to pay for it to be connected? Your broadband will stop working if they do because it needs a working line. Or do you want the line connected and working, but not to pay rental for the line that brings your broadband to you?

I'd have thought by now everyone would have taken the two minutes needed to understand this stuff, it's only been this way for fifteen years or so :(

Oh and as for ranting about "up to", I'm afraid that's physics. ADSL / VDSL are technologies that force a decades old copper twisted pair to do something that was never envisioned when it was installed. So every install is potentially different.

If you don't like it, go to VM or get a leased line installed.
    Home is where my books are.

Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    Mortgage neutral target Jun 2019, achieved Dec 2018.
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    @DavidP24 - Forget the technical arguments -the fact is that BT is a commercial business and has to make profits for shareholders. They have to recover the costs of routine maintenance,upgrades and repairs to the old infrastructure.
    IF your model was adopted of "free" line rental for non -voice customers, potentially millions of customers would drop paid rental (using mobiles for calls) - BT would only have two ways to recover the costs of their operations 1. by ramping up the cost of calls to the remaining consumers ( which would hasten the outflow to mobile operators) or 2. jack up substantially the costs to the ISPs using the network to supply b/band. So your b/band monthly cost would end up virtually being the same as the current "megadeal" on bb plus line rental.
    My wish for 2016 is that SOMEONE gets hold of BT Openreach to a) improve response times for repairs b) improve their internal communication systems so that everyone knows where they are with their line problem and c) employ proper telecom bods rather than contracting out work to the bunch of bodgers they currently are using. Some hope:(
  • onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Part of the problem is BT Wholesale, the way they get to charge what the hell they like to the other operators, this needs to be reviewed and pared down.

This statement is completely wrong.

There are charge controls in place, so OFCOM tell them what they can charge for wholesale line rental based on the cost of maintaining the network. Currently it's £89.50+VAT per annum per line (£8.95/month inc VAT).

The "line" is used for both voice and data signals in different parts of the frequency spectrum. Currently the rental part is tied to the voice service, but this may be decoupled in future so you can have a "data only" service over your line. Don't expect huge savings if this happens though as the wholesale line rental will still have to be paid, but this time by the ISP instead of the voice service provider, so it will go on the broadband bill, not the voice bill. On bundled phone + ISP outfits, nothing will change. They'll still need to get the money in so you'll get charged the same.
    Home is where my books are.

Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    Mortgage neutral target Jun 2019, achieved Dec 2018.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm amazed that people, especially those belonging this forum, still don't understand that broadband, which is not mobile or cable, can only get to their premises via a phone line and that a free delivery would mean a vast increase in the price of the broadband service.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides