edited 25 August 2015 at 2:36PM in Phones & TV
2.2K replies 480K views

Replies

• jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puffin_Man wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if you have 7 days in which to cancel a 'renewed' sky contract.

No there is no cooling off period for renewed contracts.
    So, I presume that when I signed up for a 12 month contract this time last year, there was some small print somewhere which compelled me to 'roll-over' the 12 months to next year.

No there is no such thing. At the end of the 12 months, your contract would simply have become a rolling contract - ie a 30 days notice contract. It would not have become another 12 month contract without you phoning up to agree something. Did you phone up to renegotiate your BB and Line Rental?
    So, having read a lot of the posts on this thread, I thought I would ring sky up and ask to have the TV package cancelled and then wait for the email to drop into my Sky a/c in box offering the discount.

But just wondering whether I can do that, as, technically, my 'new' 12 month contract started on 3rd December.

BB/LR contracts are totally separate from TV contracts so if you're out of the minimum term for TV you can cancel.

I would be more concerned as to how your BB/LR contract was renewed without you contacting them.
  • Puffin_Man wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Can anyone tell me if you have 7 days in which to cancel a 'renewed' sky contract.
    The crafty blighters sent me a new sky hub/router last week (for free - without me even asking for one ! ) and having connected it up I received both a letter through the post and an email, stating that they were confirming that I -

"Have agreed to take up our fantastic offer of Sky Fibre Unlimited. We also wanted to remind you that as part of this offer, you've agreed to re-subscribe for a new minimum term to the products listed in the table below:
    Subscription
    Contract Start Date
    Contract Length

Sky Broadband 03/12/2015 12 Months

So, I presume that when I signed up for a 12 month contract this time last year, there was some small print somewhere which compelled me to 'roll-over' the 12 months to next year.

So, having read a lot of the posts on this thread, I thought I would ring sky up and ask to have the TV package cancelled and then wait for the email to drop into my Sky a/c in box offering the discount.

But just wondering whether I can do that, as, technically, my 'new' 12 month contract started on 3rd December.
    Anyone know if I have a right to cancel anyway, under the '7 day rule' for distance selling.

Not sure where I stand and my 7 days is up tomorrow, so a speedy reply from you knowledgeable lot would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

If the recontract is tied to new hardware you have a 14 day cooling off period. If it's a new service like upgrading to fibre, you have a 30 day money back guarantee with Sky and if it is just a discount then there is no cooling off period. So you have up to whatever the maximum above is. I.e new router and discount you have 14 days. New service (upgrade) and discount, you have 30 days.

Hth
  • Still no offer from Sky here and termination is end of the month.

How long can I safely leave it before I have to go back and accept their original deal as the OH doesnt want to leave Sky so want to make sure there is no break in service for TV/Fibre/Phone?
  • millermiller Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Still no offer from Sky here and termination is end of the month.

How long can I safely leave it before I have to go back and accept their original deal as the OH doesnt want to leave Sky so want to make sure there is no break in service for TV/Fibre/Phone?

Bearing in mind my friend got 75% off and £100 credit last summer after 3 weeks of it being off.

I gave notice yesterday on TV and a 50% off for 12 months appeared immediately under MySky (it eluded me at first, as you have to sign in and select MySky from the banner across the top NOT any of the sub options like "offers").
  • Thanks have looked under My Sky at the top and nothing there apart from my account details, nothing under my offers either.

Will give it till early next week and then cave in I guess!
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Try using this link to see what they will offer you if you come back.

https://secure.sky.com/mysky-extras/coming-back-to-sky
  • millermiller Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks have looked under My Sky at the top and nothing there apart from my account details, nothing under my offers either.

Out of interest how long have you been with them? I am guessing from posts on here and other forums the longer it is, the less likely they offer up the discounts at first. Like a kind of reverse loyalty bonus from Sky.
  • firesidemaidfiresidemaid Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks have looked under My Sky at the top and nothing there apart from my account details, nothing under my offers either.

You have to sound like you are going to leave. How much do you usually spend with them and how long have you been with them? Can you offer to add more services for a bigger discount?

One time, after I had been with them for a while and they wouldn't offer me a deal I did ring them back and asked to be put through to cancellations. I had done my research and knew what the competitors had to offer - I explained that I didn't want to leave, but that other companies had better deals and they then offered me a deal to stay. the olive branch method lol. if you do this, be prepared to leave - you can still go back to them a day later.

recently we had a year off from sky as we were renting (had now tv), we were told when we left that when we re-joined we would be offered a good deal as returning customers - we were not, and we were going to add in phone & b/band for the first time too.

I was not happy as they were only offering 25% off AND they wanted us to pay for a new box. I rang back and spoke to someone else (we had prev been customers for 10 years) and they gave me the 50% off, frre box plus £50 credit as we incurred costs leaving BT.

I have to say that NOW TV is actually a very good option. On returning to SKY we are NOT impressed with their catch-up etc TV. PLUS there are less & less Sports....
  • superbigal36superbigal36 Forumite
    734 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I believe everyone who cancels gets the 50% offer. I was also never seeing these offers.
    Although all my marketing preferences were ticked, when I was speaking to Sky they claimed they were inactive at their end. They activated.
    I guess this is possible if you are not getting offers.
  • Daz2009Daz2009 Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I believe everyone who cancels gets the 50% offer. I was also never seeing these offers.
    Although all my marketing preferences were ticked, when I was speaking to Sky they claimed they were inactive at their end. They activated.
    I guess this is possible if you are not getting offers.

My girlfriend cancelled sky tv and broadband yesterday.They only offered her £12 off per month on the £72 she currently pays.

She's hoping they'll come back with a much better offer before the month is up but she's prepared to leave if they don't.

I left Sky for Virgin 6 months ago and they send me half price offers every month