New Post Advanced Search

PLUMBER in Peterborough?

8 replies 948 views
flossy_splodgeflossy_splodge Forumite
2.4K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
A friend had a new boiler installed by warm front about 5 years ago but apparently although the boiler works fine and they have hot water, they have never had heating.
They have twice called someone in and both times the system was flushed but with no good outcome.
They have been told the most likely problem is there is a blockage somewhere!!!! :eek:
I am really concerned to help them get this sorted urgently as one of the homeowners is in very poor health with breathing difficulties.

Does anyone have personal knowledge of a good, QUALIFIED heating engineer who won't rip them off but is likely to be able to sort it? :(

They are on an incredibly low income so need to be sure they won't get overcharged.

Appreciate any help. :o
;)
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
― John Wooden

Replies

• flossy_splodgeflossy_splodge Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    :j:j bump :j:j
    ;)
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden
  • SuzieSueSuzieSue Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look on your local trading standard site. They should have a Buy with Confidence scheme although you still need to be careful as they only need to have been trading for a short time to qualify.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying that they have had no heating for five years and this has still not been resolved by the installer?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • FurtsFurts Forumite
    4.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    An unorthodox reply is to contact a local builder who is reputable, typically with FMB membership, or CIOB status, or similar. Explain the situation, calmly and diplomatically, and you may find an off the record name being given to you of a trusted plumber who works in the trade at trade rates.

Off course this will not get your repair - first the problem needs to be identified. Equally, the work may be expensive if the eyes of the home owner, (but not in the eyes of others which is always a delicate area in these situations) or it could be a quick fix job.
  • MarkthesharkMarktheshark Forumite
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Changing the diverter valve might be a good start, that would cause a permanent blockage.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
  • FurtsFurts Forumite
    4.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    landsurvey wrote: »
    I had the same problem with gas safe engineers, you keep on ringing them and it looks like they don't want the work... I needed my boiler serviced I made a few calls and i found the site YouKwoteMe.com
    I posted the job online and I had a few traders reverse bidding on it, the price went down from £100 to £60. He came did the job, paid, gave feedback and that was it really...
    I think it is fantastic... Don't need to keep on calling, leaving messages, making booking which some of them didn't even bother to say why they didn't turned up...

What a load of BS you have posted here. The consumer has no idea what the problem is so no reputable trades person can quote for the work. Equally posting on the dubious website does not guarantee any responses, and neither can it guarantee the work will be undertaken. However, the website does encourage a dumbing down, a lowering of standards, and the establishment of cowboy, spiv and flyboy operators.

Perhaps you should remove your mobile phone number from the YouKwoteMe.com website? I wonder if some MSE Forum users might phone you up and give you an ear bashing.
  • flossy_splodgeflossy_splodge Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    macman wrote: »
    Are you saying that they have had no heating for five years and this has still not been resolved by the installer?
    Yup!!
    Wont go ito WHY it is still going on, on a public forum; I'm just trying to help resolve the situation.
    ;)
    ― John Wooden
  • tonyh66tonyh66 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    easiest way to find a blockage is to see where the hot water gets to in the pipes
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support