New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Help to Buy ISA guide

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
2.3K replies 350.3K views

Replies

• jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    riccirus wrote: »
    therefore i would lose out on a lot of tax free eligible savings.
    Yes but that's doing you a favour. Not point chasing an account because it's tax free yet pays a tiny rate in comparison to a taxed account especially after the rules change next year.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • MJD wrote: »
    Have I understood this correctly?

I am aware that I cannot have a Cash ISA and a HTB-ISA in the same tax year (yes I know that the Nationwide are doing a split ISA but that aside).
    I have paid about £3000 into a cash ISA this tax year. If I withdraw that £3000 from the account so that I no longer have a current tax year's cash ISA and do not pay any more into that account does this then qualify me to open a HTB ISA?

I am in a similar situation where my partner and I pay monthly into my isa, does this mean we both we would have to get split ISA S? It's still a little confusing.
  • I currently save £1000pcm and am hoping this will go up to about £1200 a month in February next year. I'm looking at starting the house buying process in March 2016. I want to open a Help to Buy ISA for the £200pcm but am unsure where to save the other £800pcm. It's currently all just in a normal savings account so literally get pence in interest.
    Should I get the Nationwide split ISA and where should I save the rest?
    Any advice much appreciated :) thank you
  • edited 1 December 2015 at 8:34PM
    fever84fever84 Forumite
    1 posts
    edited 1 December 2015 at 8:34PM
    I went into nationwide today and opened a 2% help to buy isa and a 1.4% cash isa. Feel feel to ask any questions. This was the best choice for me because I already had a lot of savings in a low interest isa

I opened the the help to buy isa with £1 which I have till the end of December to transfer up to £1199 and I closed my old cash isa and transferred it into the new cash ISA
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    15K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissC84 wrote: »
    I currently save £1000pcm and am hoping this will go up to about £1200 a month in February next year. I'm looking at starting the house buying process in March 2016. I want to open a Help to Buy ISA for the £200pcm but am unsure where to save the other £800pcm. It's currently all just in a normal savings account so literally get pence in interest.
    Should I get the Nationwide split ISA and where should I save the rest?
    Any advice much appreciated :) thank you

Unless you don't care about the interest you can earn, the last place to put any of your money would be a non-HTB cash ISA. Check out the various interest paying current accounts, as well as the monthly savers which offer flexible withdrawals, such as the 5% ones offered by Nationwide and TSB etc.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    15K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    riccirus wrote: »
    It says you can only contribute to one cash isa in a tax year, does this mean that this will be the only cash isa you can out money in for as long as you have it. For example if I deposit £200 into a help to buy isa every month for 5 years i wont be able to put money into any other cash isa in those 5 years? therefore i would lose out on a lot of tax free eligible savings.
    Why would you want to put any money into a non-HTB cash ISA when you can get between 3 and 6% in non-ISA accounts? Even if you had to pay tax on them, they are likely to beat those ISAs by a mile. And from April 2016, there's a good chance you won't have to pay any tax on any of them, unless you earn more than £1,000 interest a year (£500 if you are a HR tax payer, nil if you are on Advanced Rtae).
  • Can someone help me please, if I go for the halifax htb isa that is offering 4% but buy a house in less than a year do I loose out on earning 4% tax free because this is paid annually?
  • Aj28Aj28 Forumite
    2 posts
    Hi,

So after having read & watched as much as I can on this I am still confused...

I currently have not opened an ISA this tax year, yet have money in an old one (anticipating the HTB -ISA). With this amount I am unsure what to do...

From what I can make out it would be best to open a split HTB-ISA (e.g. - Nationwide) and any extra over the £200/pm I can save would first go into topping my allowance up and then into a regular saver of some sort?

Please if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
  • I transferred my cash ISA provider this year. I think i'm not eligible for HTD ISA this tax year?
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aj28 wrote: »
    Hi,

So after having read & watched as much as I can on this I am still confused...

I currently have not opened an ISA this tax year, yet have money in an old one (anticipating the HTB -ISA). With this amount I am unsure what to do...

From what I can make out it would be best to open a split HTB-ISA (e.g. - Nationwide) and any extra over the £200/pm I can save would first go into topping my allowance up and then into a regular saver of some sort?

Please if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
    Not sure which bits you've been reading but I can't see any reason why you'd want to have a split ISA with any part in a non HTB ISA when you can get such vastly better rates elsewhere.

Any extra over the £200 HTB amount can then just go into the non ISA account paying 5%.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.