5p bag charge - your views

edited 2 October 2015 at 11:59AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
769 replies 123.9K views

Replies

• custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at all this foaming over a few pence.
    Crazy southerners.
  • edited 7 November 2015 at 10:11AM
    YolinaYolina Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 November 2015 at 10:11AM
    Roxy07 wrote: »
    I always found the crappy see-through plastic bags horrible to use anyway, I hardly ever used them even when they was free ! try carrying 2 litre bottles of fizzy pop.. nightmare - bags split and everything so you end up using like 2 or 3 bags to have to double bag them..

They aren't meant to carry heavy things in but I use them to keep certain things separate, plus I have uses for them at home
    custardy wrote: »
    Look at all this foaming over a few pence.
    Crazy southerners.

It's got b*gger all to do with money, it's the principle. Since they insist on treating us like 5-year-olds, I'm going to oblige and behave like one.
    Next time I find a coin in the street, I'll go and treat myself by blowing it all on carrier bags at the supermarket :D I wonder how they'd react if I just turned up a the till with no items but asking them for £1 worth of bags :rotfl:
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick_C wrote: »
    The "jobsworth" was quite right. You are not entitled to a free carrier bag for cooked food. The supermarkets are responsible for enforcing this law and can be fined if they allow people to do what you did. The jobsworth could lose her job. Pity you don't appreciate her putting herself on the line for you. And a pity she did.

My Mum was in Asda yesterday and the customer in front of her put a produce bag over a bag of frozen COOKED prawns - it has the word cooked on the bag.

The cashier rightly told the customer its for RAW meat and fish only - so prawns have to be grey and not pink.

I have been told by my friends that work in supermarkets and other shops where they are charging customers 5p per bag by law, that there will be bag enforcement officers visiting the shops and if they see evidence of customers being given free bags that should be charged for, then they can be fined.

The bag enforcement officers are like those that visit supermarkets to check the staff are not selling alcohol to kids. Unsure if they are from the local council or not.
  • fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    Jobsworth at Tesco on self serve said the fruit and veg bags are not free for putting other things in today (I had some cooked chicken in it and wanted to keep it separate as hot).
    Said she wouldn't charge us 'this time' load of pap.

If i'd been quicker thinking I would have told her it was mine out of my handbag!..will next time.
    You do not know what 'jobsworth' means.

You admit you are a liar and a thief (or have ambition to ascend to such heights).

How very sad.
  • edited 7 November 2015 at 10:49AM
    YolinaYolina Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 November 2015 at 10:49AM
    and the customer in front of her put a produce bag over a bag of frozen COOKED prawns - it has the word cooked on the bag.

:eek: :shocked: :eek: :shocked: :eek: Oh,oh total anarchy. Paniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic it's the end of the wooooooooooooooooooooooorld.

However it's absolutely fine (and necessary obviously) for the comb I bought yesterday to come packaged in plastic
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • fuzzgun19fuzzgun19 Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nada666 wrote: »
    You do not know what 'jobsworth' means.

You admit you are a liar and a thief (or have ambition to ascend to such heights).

How very sad.
    Hate jobsworths.. I'll be filling my handbag with f/v bags that I've bought f/v in previously. Nothing they can do as they are my bags I'm re-using.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    Hate jobsworths.. I'll be filling my handbag with f/v bags that I've bought f/v in previously. Nothing they can do as they are my bags I'm re-using.
    You will be resisting through compliance. I am not sure what your point is.
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's been here in Wales a while (I know heard this many times) but I thought England was also.

I take my own bags when food shopping, much easier.
  • fuzzgun19fuzzgun19 Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    cjdavies wrote: »
    It's been here in Wales a while (I know heard this many times) but I thought England was also.

I take my own bags when food shopping, much easier.

In Wales do you take your own f/v bags too?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    In Wales do you take your own f/v bags too?
    Contrary to unpopular opinion the Welsh have more important and far more enjoyable things to spend their limited hours of this life on than engineering petty victories over the system. You do understand, when you walk out of a supermarket with a smug, triumphant smirk on your face, that the cashiers and staff are not frustrated that you got one over them and the Man they work for - they are just having little accidents themselves with laughter at the emptiness of your life.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support