Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

5p bag charge - your views - Page 41

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

5p bag charge - your views

edited 2 October 2015 at 10:59AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
769 replies 123.9K views

Replies

• Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    I don't think the law applies to the produce bags, but I think it needs to be clarified as cashiers are interpeting it their own way.

If the produce bags have handles (and are plastic and thinner than 70 microns) then they are single use carrier bags and must be paid for, unless being used for appropriate items. Uncooked meat or unwrapped food, fine.

Leaking bag of flour, interesting one. "A bag intended to be used solely to contain wholly or partly unwrapped food for human or animal consumption" is exempt. If the bag of flour is leaking, I would say the food (flour) is partly unwrapped, so it should be ok to use a free bag to contain it. Just my opinion. Unless it ever went to court, no one can say for sure.
  • in my huble opinion the charge for bags is nt causing lless plastic to be produced as people won't pay the 5p but struggle somehow then buy bin bags as everyone I know used carier bags as bin bags so they got used twice. now bags are bought just for bins so no less plastic used!!

good for shops though as the 5p from those who pay for bags and they also sell lots more bin bags! lol!
  • Though Defra have no exceptions regarding free carriers for bags of sugar and flour. Either Defra need to amend the law or sugar and flour packaging companies need to improve the packaging as they leak.
    Gosh! That is so dangerous! Just think of the children getting emphysema from playing with the empty bags. Something has to be done!
  • My son will inherit my plastic bags, so that he doesn't have to suffer like his dad, during the establishment of the hour.
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=!!!!!!;69474217

Deal with your own hygiene, don't expect the nanny state to do it for you.![/QUOTE]

Codswallop! The 'Nanny state' is the regulation enforcing this charge in the first place. Stop trying to shift the blame.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • fuzzgun19fuzzgun19 Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jobsworth at Tesco on self serve said the fruit and veg bags are not free for putting other things in today (I had some cooked chicken in it and wanted to keep it separate as hot).
    Said she wouldn't charge us 'this time' load of pap.

If i'd been quicker thinking I would have told her it was mine out of my handbag!..will next time.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    Jobsworth at Tesco on self serve said the fruit and veg bags are not free for putting other things in today (I had some cooked chicken in it and wanted to keep it separate as hot).

If i'd been quicker thinking I would have told her it was mine out of my handbag!..will next time.

The "jobsworth" was quite right. You are not entitled to a free carrier bag for cooked food. The supermarkets are responsible for enforcing this law and can be fined if they allow people to do what you did. The jobsworth could lose her job. Pity you don't appreciate her putting herself on the line for you. And a pity she did.
  • fuzzgun19fuzzgun19 Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah right...
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • edited 6 November 2015 at 11:37PM
    YolinaYolina Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 November 2015 at 11:37PM
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »

She was actually applying the thing properly, annoying as it is, but here's what you do... You have, say, loose tomatoes in a produce bag, and loose onions in another. Once these have been put through the till, put both into the same produce bag thus instantly giving you the second bag to reuse :p

Now of course, if those produce bags didn't have handles, they wouldn't count as carrier bags in the first place so would be exempt from the charge.

Edit: Since I'm following the law to the letter :D I now make sure I use a produce bag for *everything I am allowed to*, even if it's loose fruit & veg that I wouldn't normally put in those bags, like a single avocado for example or garlic...
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • Roxy07Roxy07 Forumite
    498 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I always found the crappy see-through plastic bags horrible to use anyway, I hardly ever used them even when they was free ! try carrying 2 litre bottles of fizzy pop.. nightmare - bags split and everything so you end up using like 2 or 3 bags to have to double bag them..
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support