IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Received private parking ticket while parked on public highway

Replies

• RedactedRedacted Forumite
    99 Posts
    Forumite
    discat11 wrote: »
    I think the statement they've made makes it quite clear this is a 'speculative invoice'

'The Client(s) agree that any payment to Devon Parking Agency is classed as a donation to the company instead of a legal required payment.'

i.e. don't want to make a donation to them? Don't pay it. simple as.
    It's about as legally enforceable as a seagull sending you a bill for !!!!!!!! on your car.

Yes, that's pretty much what I thought once I'd read the T&C's. I imagine a lot of people won't read them though.
  • Johno100Johno100 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Castle wrote: »
    The website address was only registered on 27th September 2015!

And to a Registrants Address that appears to be non-existent.
  • this one needs playing thru , lets see "how" they get the info from the DVLA , they are non ATA , and no ATA registered company is legally allowed to pass info from the DVLA to them

popcorn time ,,,,,,,,,,,
  • edited 7 October 2015 at 11:19PM
    HO87HO87 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    edited 7 October 2015 at 11:19PM
    Before anyone goes off half prepared I would venture the view that this is a straight scam. That is to say that I believe this to be an attempted fraud for the following reasons:

The so-called parking company claim to be called - Devon Parking Agency Limited both on their extremely amateurishly composed PCN and in their T&C's (which are even more amateurish, if that's possible and completely laughable) which are available here.

There is no such limited company.

The website is registered at an address that does not exist and even if it was a misspelling for, say, Back Lane, Plympton (which exists) the postcode supplied has not been allocated and in any event relates generally to an area closer to the centre of Plymouth - well over 7 miles away.

The website utterly fails to comply with the eCommerce regulations (in terms of disclosing the geographical address and identity of the company concerned) as does the so-called PCN in respect of the Business Names Act etc.

The use of the BPA logo will interest the BPA although they are not, it seems, claiming to be members of the AOS.

From the point of view of entertainment here are some priceless quotes from the Ts&Cs:
    4.1. Location and Details of the Parking Charge Notice (PCN)
    Our agents or CEO's will secure the PCN to the vehicle by self adhesive material (undamagable to glass) either directly to the windscreen, drivers side window or beneath the wiper blade of the windscreen of the vehicle depant of availability and/or location. It is not the responsibility of Devon Parking Agency if the PCN is stolen, misplaced, tampered with, loose/fallen or unseen. CEO's will maintain appropriate conduct to ensure the PCN is adhered properly to the glass, sealed securely and is in full view of the owner of the vehicle.
    [From section 4.4 Late Payments]It is upon the court to decide that instruction of a bailiff is necessary to remove and sell your goods in satisfaction of the sum owed, DPA can take no responsibility in these circumstances.

And finally, it was this section that convinced me that this is a complete con.
    6. Land, Regulations, Staff and Legality
    CEOs of Devon Parking Agency patrol regularly around the areas of which instructed, this can be private land in which DPA have been given authority to regulate or public land protected by the area council department. DPA CEOs will abide by regulations set out on either public or private land to enforce parking conduct legally. On private land, these conditions can be changed, updated or enforced at the discretion of the Owner of Private Land, any changes to the conduct will be displayed on signage or information displayed on the land. On public land, regulations enforced by DPA CEOs may be any contravention of 'The Highway Code, Waiting and parking section (238 to 252)'. It is at full discretion of the CEO to decide upon the necessary action taken against any unlawful parking.
    What absolute jokers.

EDIT: I was laughing so hard after reading this section that I actually unintentionally posted before I could include it
    8. Private Land Regulations
    Devon Parking Agency agree that the Client(s) maintain responsibility for the Client(s) private land at all times throughout duration of the standing contract, DPA accepts that enforcement and patrols are ONLY for parking infringements and WILL NOT be used for any fighting, delinquency, vandalism, theft or abuse which may occur on site during the patrol of a DPA CEO. Such action witnessed by a DPA CEO may be reported to the Client(s) but cannot be controlled by a DPA CEO, this behavior breaks DPA staff guidelines and regulations set out by the company. Client(s) agree that action stated above is still in responsibility of the Client(s) and that DPA services on site are for parking contraventions only.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • The guy who operates the Devon Parking Agency, may be called Aidan...

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32904118/issue-with-paypal-ipn-update-code
  • edited 7 October 2015 at 11:28PM
    HO87HO87 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    edited 7 October 2015 at 11:28PM
    Damn good spot! He may of course be the poor, innocent webdeveloper.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • He says it is 'MY' website. I think this is a one-man fraud.
  • edited 8 October 2015 at 12:28AM
    nidOnidO Forumite
    847 Posts
    edited 8 October 2015 at 12:28AM
    Without wanting to potentially smear the wrong person, his other Stackoverflow posts reveal he's a positively poor coder who seems to operate at least a couple of other websites which are just as definite scams as this one (and by extension give away his full name), is careless with giving away database access and email address details when asking for help, works as a dominos delivery driver, and appears to have recently served a couple of years in a young offenders' institution.

OP, definitely something to alert your local council, and ideally also the police, to.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides