edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
5 replies 12.8K views
jrtfanjrtfan Forumite
1.1K Posts
Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
Hi

Does/has anybody play(ed) either of these games online and happen to know approximately how much data is used per player, per hour, please? An average is fine, thanks.

Replies

• CycrowCycrow Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Online gaming doesn't tend to take up too much data, probably only about 20mb/hour for something like minecraft.

but even the heaviest of online games wont use alot, less than streaming music usually, and considerably less than streaming video
  • jrtfanjrtfan Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for this.

The reason I'm asking is because I have a mobile wifi dongle that will allow up to 10 devices to connect and am trying to gauge how much data I'd have to buy, in order to let 10 kids play Roblox or Minecraft together for 3 hours. (It's a Primary school reunion, we'd hold it inside a marquee on a recreation ground and all of the parents would share the cost of the data between them.)

At 20Mb/hour, would you estimate that 1Gb of data would be plenty then?

Thanks again.
  • CycrowCycrow Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    It should be, however, i would suggest 2GB, as there may be downloads and updates you might need before playing, and better to be on the safe side, cant see any reason it would use more than 2GB however
  • jrtfanjrtfan Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    That's fantastic, thank you very much indeed for your help and advice!
  • GeodarkGeodark Forumite
    1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about Roblox, but if you are playing minecraft would a better idea not to be to setup a server on the same network, and have all the minecraft clients connect to that locally hosted server rather than one on the internet somewhere - that way it shouldn't cost you any data - or am i missing something?
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals