Northern Cyprus

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Report Holiday Deals, Bargains & Special Offers
10 replies 6.9K views
Puffin11Puffin11 Forumite
11 Posts
This year we went to Northern Cyprus.

Highly recommend it. Booked with a company called Cyprus Paradise and got a serious bargain for 2 weeks halfboard. Just over £400 for 2 weeks half board, start of August! Not only that, but it's cheap once you are there. We regularly had lunch (just something very simple) for £10 for all three of us. Car hire cheap and petrol only about 85p a litre. Worked out brilliantly for us. Only snag? VERY HOT! :D

Replies

• Should add, this was the Turkish side so no marks and spencers or KFCs! Still pretty unspoilt too!
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My parents have just returned from what must be their 20th visit, the last 10 or so visiting the same family who rent out apartments.

Excellent as ever, cheap as chips, it was hot, but that's why they go. On their early visits you couldn't get there from the Greek side and it was a lottery if you would get there and back, worse delay was 5 days!

After a few years of flying into Larnaca and having a 90 minute taxi across the island they took a scheduled flight to Ercan via Istanbul, 15 minute transfer.

No more expensive than a low cost airline, but all the frills.

They have noticed some rip off restaurants setting up, but they are easily avoided and don't stay open long.
  • Sounds good I have always wondered what it's like on the other side!
  • ttolittoli Forumite
    825 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I've lived here for 10 years and can honestly say that I've no regrets
    I can quite easily get by on £400 a month including all bills eating out etc. Best move I ever made
  • Yes, we flew into Ercan although I understand you can fly to the greek side and walk over and hire a car. We went to near Kyrenia and as I say, it was lovely. If hot and sunny is what you want then it's great, but I think we did all the sightseeing there was really quickly.
  • Roger1Roger1 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Any recommendations for Karpaz / Golden Beach?

It looks wonderful. We'd love to visit but I haven't found flight + accommodation deals. I've found Kyrenia of course but I'm thinking that staying in Kyrenia and driving to Karpaz would not be as interesting as being based nearer Karpaz.

Grateful for your thoughts.
  • Hi Roger
    Karpaz and Kyrenia offer two vary varying holiday experiences as do Cyprus and North Cyprus.

All are on a scale of developed to undeveloped
    Cyprus – most developed
    Kyrenia – north Cyprus, relatively undeveloped
    Karpaz – very little development.
    Karpaz will offer you a very different holiday, that’s more about the wildlife, beaches and total tranquillity. Kyrenia will offer you a range of restaurants, beaches and history.

You can read about Karpaz & Kyrenia there directtraveller.com

We travel with Direct Traveller to North Cyprus .They fly you to the south of the border and then transfer you to the North. There’s also the option to stay on both sides or two centres, so that could be a good way to experience both.

Hope that helps

Peter
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    25K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a great holiday with Direct Traveller this time last year.

I'd love to visit Northern Cyprus.

For future use, can you tell me roughly how long flights/travel from say Gatwick to Northern Cyprus would be?
  • ttolittoli Forumite
    825 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    maman

From Gatwick flights are with either Turkish Airlines or Pegasus (both require a change of at Istanbul) total duration 6 Hours or if you fly from Stansted with Pegasus it's only a touchdown at Istanbul ( You stay on the aircraft), Same from Luton with AtlasJetGlobal. Second option being Gatwick into Larnaca ( Easyjet or Thomson) and it's a 5 hour flight then a 45 - 60 Minute transfer to Kyrenia.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    25K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttoli wrote: »
    maman

From Gatwick flights are with either Turkish Airlines or Pegasus (both require a change of at Istanbul) total duration 6 Hours or if you fly from Stansted with Pegasus it's only a touchdown at Istanbul ( You stay on the aircraft), Same from Luton with AtlasJetGlobal. Second option being Gatwick into Larnaca ( Easyjet or Thomson) and it's a 5 hour flight then a 45 - 60 Minute transfer to Kyrenia.

Thanks for that. So roughly 6 hours whichever way you go. I wanted to be sure before looking for a flight so I'll probably go on best price. Northern Cyprus is definitely on my 'to do' list.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides