Old PS3 sound cable?

edited 15 September 2015 at 12:16PM in Gaming MoneySaving
4 replies 930 views
GarethgrewGarethgrew Forumite
190 Posts
edited 15 September 2015 at 12:16PM in Gaming MoneySaving
What cable do I need to connect my old style PS3 to my suround sound system please?

Replies

• almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got no idea what your sound system is, but...
    1st option is use HDMI - this carries picture and sound. This goes into the sound system, then another HDMI lead from sound system to TV. Sound system switches sound and pictures for all sources.
    If not, then optical digital, sometimes referred to as TOSLink for sound. This will give digital surround sound from the PS3 if your surround sytem supports it.
    Otherwise you need the AV output on the PS3, and (from very rusty memory) it will allow you to run stereo phono (red and white plugs) into your sound system. This won't give you proper surround though.
  • almillar wrote: »
    I've got no idea what your sound system is, but...
    1st option is use HDMI - this carries picture and sound. This goes into the sound system, then another HDMI lead from sound system to TV. Sound system switches sound and pictures for all sources.
    If not, then optical digital, sometimes referred to as TOSLink for sound. This will give digital surround sound from the PS3 if your surround sytem supports it.
    Otherwise you need the AV output on the PS3, and (from very rusty memory) it will allow you to run stereo phono (red and white plugs) into your sound system. This won't give you proper surround though.

My hdmi goes to the TV already, but my sound system has no hdmi input.

Can I have hdmi going to TV and av out from the same multi out ps2 used to the sound system?
  • you need an optical cable. HDMI to the TV and optical cable from the ps3 to the surround sound. if you bypass the sound though the tv to the surround sound or any other way you wont get true surround sound. it will just play the sound out of all speakers at once, rather than say someone talking behind you so it comes out of the rear speakers.
    :j
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still don't know what your sound system is...
    So as Tlg1991 says keep the HDMI as it is, and take an optical cable directly from the back of the PS3 (no multi out needed) into the sound system, if it has an optical input.
    You'll then need to go into the PS3's sound settings to tell it to output sound over digital optical instead of HDMI.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides