Preparedness for when

edited 8 November 2012 at 8:54AM in Old Style MoneySaving
41.4K replies 4M views

Replies

• Nargleblast- Found it ! Changed it ! Yippee.

Many Thanks
  • My "you what?" reading about the migrant situation latest was reading the Guardian online today and finding that discussion is going on about having camps or the like for migrants in Africa for instance.

Errrrm....there is just one tiny possible problem I foresee there:cool: - errr....that would be in Somebody Else's Country then would it?:cool:
  • I see you have already been reported for trolling threads and causing trouble Armyknife, or is it modsandmockers? I am not even rising to the bait. I have better things to do with my time.
  • Well done Army Knife and Modsandmockers!
    2012 Saving challenge £1000/£400! Woo! :wave:
  • elonaelona Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    A family member works for an energy company and has asked me to make sure I have candles etc as she saw how near we came to brownouts or blackouts last year.

DH moved a lot of my stuff including solar energy lamps but I am going to root around and try to find them. Fortunately (as a result of a lot of research) I have a gas hob that should still work if the electrics are off, a "magic cooker" that works like a slow cooker but uses no electric and spare wind up torches etc.

I have just ordered a few more solar lamps and will give at least one each to DDs who have their own homes now.

1tonsil

I am so sorry you got threats and now have to consider personal safety as well as everything else.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    37.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    elona wrote: »
    1tonsil

I am so sorry you got threats and now have to consider personal safety as well as everything else.

Seconded. Starting to get a bit ugly here too :(
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021..........
    October 2021: aiming for £5,000 new money for premium bonds or a car.
  • edited 15 September 2015 at 1:26PM
    edited 15 September 2015 at 1:26PM
    elona wrote: »
    I have a "magic cooker" that works like a slow cooker but uses no electric and spare wind up torches etc.

1tonsil

Can we have a link please to that "magic cooker"??:)

Also seconded re sympathy to 1Tonsil re the threats received. Am definitely coming to the conclusion these days that intimidation is the last resort of those with opposing opinions.
  • 1Tonsil wrote: »
    I see you have already been reported for trolling threads and causing trouble Armyknife, or is it modsandmockers? I am not even rising to the bait. I have better things to do with my time.

What a bizarre thing to say.

Fact is you're the one filling this otherwise interesting thread with a consistent drip-drip of anti-refugee posts some of which sourced from rather dubious sources.
  • iTonsil is using a variety of sources on the one hand.

On the other hand - she is right at the epicentre of what is happening now and what she sees happening in their Today is what could well happen in our Tomorrow.

To me - 1Tonsil is British on the one hand - but is obviously thinking/reacting much like a Greek (ie her adopted country) on the other hand. As I said a while back she is "Greek in her head" by the sound of it - so we are getting a viewpoint that is very much mixed British/Greek from what I can see and I personally think that's quite a valuable take on things to have (ie someone with a foot in both cultures).
  • fuddlefuddle Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    I think that's the point. The source. Is it from someone living in Greece and experiencing first hand or are the issues raised coming from online sources that contain what if's and scare mongering.

It is important to watch everything quietly with a keen eye but with something like this, where people are of a careful, intelligent, switched on mind, that we should maybe post where the information has come from?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals