edited 8 November 2012 at 8:54AM in Old Style MoneySaving
41.4K replies 4M views

Replies

• grandma247grandma247 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    happydays
    You can cook, pressure can Low acid foods such as vegetables and meat as well as water bath in a pressure canner. It is unsafe to use a pressure cooker to can low acid food.

I had a look at the video and it is just pickles and jams which you can water bath so unless you want the other features you can save your money. A tall stockpot is perfect.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning all,

There are now videos etc of so called refugees in Germany fighting back the German police with isis flags... No mention of this in the mainstream news.

I feel for the genuine refugees in all this, as I think isis are making the most of this situation and just rampaging European countries boarders, with such force and anger, that they can't be held back...maybe before they left they got told by their leaders what countries/ areas so they can group with sympathisers in that country..

I def think there will be trouble ahead...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • edited 14 September 2015 at 7:33AM
    moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 September 2015 at 7:33AM
    Can we have a link to those videos of the "refugees" with the Isis flag please?

EDIT; just done quick google for "youtube refugees in Germany" and first one I had a peek at was a Quadigo (whoever they are) one and started by showing a statue of 4 stone horses. Instant - "I'll maybe watch that one later - just remembered the phrase about the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse".....wonder if the filmmakers know that concept and used it deliberately...
  • NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Germany were being a little optimistic when they stated they would take 800,000 or 500,000 refugees, whatever the number was. Certainly they have no business telling Britain we are not doing enough - Britain, where many Syrians have been accepted and some allowed to stay on after their visas expired due to the home situation. Britain, that has promised to take 20,000 refugees direct from the camps (so are more likely to be genuine refugees). And Britain, that has apparently spent more money and given more practical aid (food, shelter, medical care, clean water etc) in the region itself than all the other EU countries combined.

How dare other countries judge us? I have not heard anything about how many refugees France, Belgium, Poland, Spain, Netherlands etc have agreed to take? And what about countries like Saudi Arabia and Qatar, that are fairly well off? This is a world problem, and as I have said before, more focus should be on solving the problems that make people leave their homelands in the first place, and not just pick up the pieces.

Some would say we should take more refugees, but whatever number we take, it has to be carefully spaced out so as not to overwhelm the local services. We have see how Greece has been affected. Germany is now starting to count the cost of its rather rash promise.

Anyway, we can only watch and await developments in the fullness of time.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • I think that counts as "British understatement of the year" to describe countries like Saudi Arabia and Qatar as "fairly well off":rotfl::rotfl:. They have got money by the bucketload/gold-plated posh cars load. There is an ENORMOUS amount of money we cant even conceive of there...

Just take a quick look at those photos of posh cars that turn up from there in London each year. Check out latest purchases of Qatari royal family for instance.....whew!!!!
  • happydays89happydays89 Forumite
    304 Posts
    ✭✭
    I really feel for the genuine refugees,and they should be helped but what has angered me this morning was Mr Cameron saying he will provide a warm home for them........why cant he provide a nice warm home for all the homeless people in Britain including the families stuck in B&Bs for years squashed into tiny rooms.A friend said they will probably throw up prefab buildings like they did during the war,but again why hasn't it been done for our people.
  • A few years ago when I was regularly skint I decided to buy some of these.

31VLIj1wpmL.jpg

They are called Capitalist Pigs but they are piggy banks with a writeable surface for chalk. I use them to help be budget for regular things that you can pay for annually. So buy working out the weekly cost of any service I start saving the amount in the piggy bank and then as the pigs get filled I swap out the coins for notes which i keep in an adjacent can. Then at the end of the year or when needed I have the funds available to pay for what ever it is in cash or can pay the money into my bank to pay that way.

This means that I will have cash to pay for the item what ever it is but because I raid the wallet for notes the small change gets bagged up and kept for emergencies. So if there is a banking crisis here and small change becomes problematic like in Greece I will have plenty of small change that I can use to pay local suppliers. I already have several hundred pounds in small change bagged up.

Another thing that I do is take out cash and empty my wallet into a tin so over time that builds up. Once I have cleared my last debt I will start taking £50 out a week and even if I only spend a couple of pounds a week the excess will be put into another tin so I only keep £50 in my wallet. Anything over that gets saved. So I could end up building up cash savings at a rate of £40 a week without any trouble. In a couple of years I could easily have a cash reserve of £4000 at home.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
    10.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also, since becoming debt free ( apart from the mortgage) taken out cash to put in an emergency fund tin. Not a huge amount worth breaking into my home for( in case any burglars out there get any ideas!) but a handy "comfort blanket" in case bank cash machines break down, or bad weather causes problems and only cash will do. If we go away for a few days the cash fund will go with us and will be returned to its storage place on our return. Whilst I don't think anyone should be shoving shedloads of the folding stuff under the mattress, a supply of cash for emergencies is always a good idea. One thing to bear in mind though - if the Government changes the design of a particular bank note, make sure you swap the ones in your stores for the latest issue, otherwise you could find yourself with a load of cash that is no longer legal tender!
    10.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Likewise coins ( remember the half new penny which is no longer around?) - if a coin is changed or discontinued, make sure the coins in your stash are changed up for valid ones.
  • edited 14 September 2015 at 11:44AM
    1Tonsil1Tonsil Forumite
    262 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 14 September 2015 at 11:44AM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4&v=cn3gY-Y1xUY

http://woundedamericanwarrior.com/total-destruction-islamic-refugees-destroying-everything-they-touch-in-italy-videos/#

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/464202/ISIS-target-Brit-Christmas-shoppers

Quote from a Turkish forum...another perspective...

NightWatch707 3 weeks ago
    I'll say it, I don't have any sympathy for these people simply because they don't need any help.

I'm from Turkey. We have about two millions of immigrants from Syria and Iraq and all of them receive more than monthly minimum wage without actually working, no questions asked. They can just walk up to any university and be admitted to any program they want with no proof of their previous education or an exam. They can also work legally without any restriction. And they still try to leave the country so they can be paid even more by someone else who has no responsibility to do so.

These people have more than enough money to repeatedly pay for their illegal attempts of crossing the border (which is not really a cheap thing to do). So, it's not about fear of death or survival, it's about abusing the welfare system in Europe.

It makes you think, doesnt it? They want to leave Greece because there are no benefits for anyone here, not even those still paying into the system after forty years of working...pensioners on three hundred euros a month still have to pay nine percent of that in contributions, as well as tax on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides