65 replies 15.4K views

Replies

• King_Of_FoolsKing_Of_Fools Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Sad but inevitable!

I note that Barclaycard were very specific in their statement:
    "has no plans to change the value our customers receive from the Freedom Rewards card at this time"

So I guess we should read that as:
    "has definite plans to reduce the value our customers receive from the Amex/Visa cashback card"
  • eagleeagle Forumite
    586 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    This is good timing for me. Was just looking for a way to maximise my Avios/BA points and was considering the Tesco Credit Card as an alternative to Amex. At least now I will think about one less card from my shortlist!
  • chambtachambta Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a Santander 123 card already so looks like the end of my Tesco credit card. Shame as I've had it for a long time, certainly the longest I've ever had one.
  • BallardBallard Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had my Tesco credit card for quite a while. So long, in fact, that I get 1 point for every £2 spent rather than for every £4. Moving it to a point per £8 would make it almost literally pointless to keep it.

I don't blame Tesco, though, all of the operators are doing the same due to the law change. I've maxed out my Santander 1-2-3 account (at 0% until January 2017) so will look at my options. I'm not going to look too hard, though, as I think that the rewards are diminishing too fast.

My love affair with credit cards started by stealth. I bought a new kitchen on a card which had 0% interest for 9 months and it was only 7 1/2 months into this period that I realised that I could transfer the balance (with no fees in those days) and defer payment for another x months. A couple of years later I got to my record £49,500 on a variety of credit cards (mostly at 0% but some at 1%). Combined with an offset mortgage at around 5% at the time I reckon that I saved somewhere between £3,000 & £4,000. Happy Days.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a shame! We've had ours for years, and although we've recently been making more use of our 1-2-3 card, we still put other spends on here as we too were getting 1 pt per £2 spent.

We'll probably keep it, as its got a good credit limit (if needed), but as has been said above, i wouldn't now be surprised if Santander go the same way.
    "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!

• SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    zerog wrote: »
    You do know you get £5 back per month if you spend £300 on the clarity card as long as you've paid in £1000 per month to your current account for 3 months?

There's no requirement to pay £1,000 in to your current account every three months.

http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/help-guidance/terms-and-conditions/clarity-card/:
    11.2 - To be eligible for the reward set out in condition 11.1, you must, at the time you enter into this agreement:-

(a) hold a Halifax current account and pay in £1,000 or more each month;
    (b) use our switching service to move your current account to a Halifax Current Account and agree to pay in £1,000 or more each month;
    (c) open or hold a Halifax Ultimate Reward Current Account.

"At the time you entered into this agreement" are the important words.

Some punters have even closed their Halifax account after getting a Clarity card and still receive the fiver.
  • I wonder if M&S will change theirs?

I've just taken out their card for a big purchase on a long 0% on purchases offer. It was the best spending card offer at the time, but at the time their reward points scheme didn't compare well with the tesco one for me.
  • King_Of_FoolsKing_Of_Fools Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, if things stay as they are Tesco will stop being my main non-Amex card. However, I would be surprised if there will be many non-Amex cards offering more than 0.25% after November.

As it stands, my effective* rate on Tesco is 1% but this will drop to 0.25%. At the moment I have a number of of other cards offering 0.5% in one form or another (Nationwide, Barclaycard, M&S, Debenhams) but I somehow doubt they will be happy to make a loss so expect them to cut their cashback. Come November, I might find that Tesco is still the best non-Amex rate available to me.

* I always use Clubcard deals of at least 2x and sometimes 3x, 4x or 5x.
  • jmfwiltsjmfwilts Forumite
    27 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I had my letter this morning from Tesco. What a great shame. I have had this card for over 10 years, and still benefit from the 800 Avios rate per £2.50 in clubcard vouchers. It now means to get a 15000 Avios flight (typical points required for a return trip to Europe) then my spend on the card now needs to go from £9375 to £37,500 ! If you get the typical 600 Avios rate your spend will go from £12,500 to £50,000 !!! Also, you will only get points for multiples of £8 spend - so spending £7.99 will get you 0 points, £8.00 1 point, £15.99 1 point.

Looking around this morning, I think my best bet is to switch to an Amex card.
  • edited 8 September 2015 at 8:02AM
    redpeteredpete Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 September 2015 at 8:02AM
    jmfwilts wrote: »
    Also, you will only get points for multiples of £8 spend - so spending £7.99 will get you 0 points, £8.00 1 point, £15.99 1 point.
    Or £1503.99 in a month gets 187 points, £1504 gets 188 pts, £1511.99 gets 188 pts - pretty irrelevant effect compared with the halving of the total number of points.
    *Looks like I didn't understand how the card I've had for years works! - see jmfwilts' post!*
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News