Best Wedding Insurance

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
3 replies 2.1K views
Mrs_Gee_2Mrs_Gee_2 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips re good wedding insurance? Getting mixed reviews online about good and bad experiences, fingers and toes crossed we'll not need to use insurance but if any fellow brides/grooms can recommend I'd be very grateful! :-D Thank you.

Replies

• gadgeteer_2gadgeteer_2 Forumite
    768 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We used Dreamsaver but never had to claim so can't comment on that side. I do know they covered deposits already paid though.

The main thing to understand is what insurance covers and what it does not. It basically covers you for unexpected/unforseeable events like death of close family. A supplier going bankrupt, freak weather. That sort of thing.

What it doesn't cover you for are things like if you want to cancel. A dispute with a supplier. A supplier simply not turning up because of a mix up or poor service. The insurer's expect you to make a claim against the supplier (and by extension their insurer for that.) Generally suppliers have to be a proper business too. So if you've bought a cake off some random Facebook group member who hasn't bothered to register with HMRC, wants cash in hand etc then your insurer won't be interested either.

Hope that helps
  • hollypophollypop Forumite
    42 Posts
    Just having some insurance is better than none I think, & After having a look online we decided to go with Debenhams yesterday for our wedding insurance. I do look at lots of others but went for the bigger well known company instead.

The policy wording is easy to understand and it covers for things like suit hire (you may find without insurance when you come to hire suits they'll add on a charge for their own policy instead per suit)

I've heard lots of good things about John Lewis but their policy's were a lot more expensive than the debenhams one.
  • BarryBlueBarryBlue Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    gadgeteer wrote: »
    We used Dreamsaver but never had to claim so can't comment on that side. I do know they covered deposits already paid though.

The main thing to understand is what insurance covers and what it does not. It basically covers you for unexpected/unforseeable events like death of close family. A supplier going bankrupt, freak weather. That sort of thing.

What it doesn't cover you for are things like if you want to cancel. A dispute with a supplier. A supplier simply not turning up because of a mix up or poor service. The insurer's expect you to make a claim against the supplier (and by extension their insurer for that.) Generally suppliers have to be a proper business too. So if you've bought a cake off some random Facebook group member who hasn't bothered to register with HMRC, wants cash in hand etc then your insurer won't be interested either.

Hope that helps

It may be worth thinking how you will be protected for the things that are excluded from an insurance policy here. The best advice is to pay for things on a credit card to get CCA s75 protection in the event of a dispute or a supplier going out of business. It is probably worth having a joint credit card account to use just for wedding costs.

The other issue is if you have to cancel for some reason - it happens! This will not be covered but it shouldn't matter. If you cancel the venue, the photographer, the cake maker etc well in advance they cannot just keep your deposit. They can only retain an amount to cover costs they have actually incurred, and if it's months in advance that will be little or nothing. They cannot charge for loss of profit, for instance. If they say you must forfeit the whole deposit, which could be a huge sum, they are applying a penalty charge. This is illegal under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.
    :dance:We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night:dance:
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides