Family Mobile - Withdrawing service and will cease to operate from 31st August 2015

edited 8 July 2015 at 11:11PM in Mobiles
64 replies 11.2K views

Replies

• virgo17virgo17 Forumite
    813 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    daz73 wrote: »
    I must be behind the times, I thought most of the cheap PAYG top-ups expired after so many days.

Top ups do not expire. However, the top up credit may be lost if a chargeable event does not occur within the networks defined time period. Some networks allow an incoming event to meet this criteria and apparently 3's 321 PAYG does not need it at all.
  • ExemplarExemplar Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    daz73 wrote: »
    According to an email I got about the closure, Timico only bought them a month ago. Either they didn't do their homework very well or are just stripping out the assets they want.

The current service is on EE, the email suggested I migrate to their "business strength" service on O2 - they really don't understand the customer base if they are serious about that.

I signed up with them to get an almost-everlasting SIM for my young son's cheap "emergency phone" which he takes to football training. Anyone know of a network that does similar SIM-only line-rental-free deal?

Emailed them asking for a refund, not expecting one though.

Wrong and.....wrong. They did do their homework very, very thoroughly. Secondly 'asset stripping'. You have made a statement there that can potentially scare people. Not the case. All are now employees of the larger group (obviously some left as they wanted to).

Please make comments when you know facts....
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • SilkSilk Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    virgo17 wrote: »
    Top ups do not expire. However, the top up credit may be lost if a chargeable event does not occur within the networks defined time period. Some networks allow an incoming event to meet this criteria and apparently 3's 321 PAYG does not need it at all.

Yes they still need it, it's in th T&C's ....
    If within a 6 month period you have not (i) activated a Pay As You Go Voucher on your account or (ii) made any chargeable events or activities (for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed content or the internet or any other Three Services for which a charge is made), we may also suspend our Services or disconnect you
    It's not just about the money
  • virgo17virgo17 Forumite
    813 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Silk wrote: »
    Yes they still need it, it's in th T&C's ....

Thanks, good info.
  • S_t_e_v_eS_t_e_v_e Forumite
    154 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    The email I just got with my PAC codes said:

"after the Coms Mobile service is closed on 31st August we will publish details of how to apply to Timico for any outstanding balance to be credited back to you."

So maybe they have changed their minds.
    Steve
  • Steve_xxSteve_xx Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    S_t_e_v_e wrote: »
    The email I just got with my PAC codes said:

"after the Coms Mobile service is closed on 31st August we will publish details of how to apply to Timico for any outstanding balance to be credited back to you."

So maybe they have changed their minds.

I have had contact from Neil Armstrong, Director of Business Services at Timico who has indicated to me as you have said. They plan to refund unused credit after 31 August. Also, they plan to do it without imposing the Administration Charge of £5 which is usual in the event that you port your number. This, I would say, is a fair and reasonable settlement.
  • Family Mobile, IKEA Mobile and Smarter Mobile customers will no longer be able to use their pay-as-you-go (PAYG) service...
    Read the full story:

Family Mobile to close, but unused credit to be refunded

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MSE is saying that Timico initially refused to rerund unusee credit, but Im not sure this is entirely correct.

When I spoke to Timico, there was no point blank refusal to refund. I was told to contact Coms by phone (phone has been busy, unsurprisingly) or email, and it would be considered, and see what happened. It sounds like they've moved to a decision since then.
  • mad990divermad990diver Forumite
    19 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Coms Mobile and Family Mobile Support
    Wed 08/07/2015 00:06

Unfortunately, we are unable to refund any unused credit - any credit must be used before porting your number away.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,
    FM

A definite u-turn, I'm looking forward to getting my £6.41 back :T
  • Steve_xxSteve_xx Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    redux wrote: »
    MSE is saying that Timico initially refused to rerund unusee credit, but Im not sure this is entirely correct.

When I spoke to Timico, there was no point blank refusal to refund. I was told to contact Coms by phone (phone has been busy, unsurprisingly) or email, and it would be considered, and see what happened. It sounds like they've moved to a decision since then.
    They did initially refuse to make a refund, citing the Family Mobile terms and conditions. However, when I pointed out to Timico that these were extraordinary circumstances, ie that the company was choosing to cease the service, it was then that their director, Neil Armstrong wrote to me and apologised for the previous communication that stated that there would be no refunds. He went on to say that there would be full refunds and that they would be publishing details on how to obtain a refund at the point that the service ends on 31 August. He also said that there would be no £5 administration charge.

That's satisfactory.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals