Default removal: how long to wait until applying for credit card?

Hi, this may be a silly question or even covered somewhere else but I couldn't find it on my lunch break so quickly asking!

I have a overdraft default but knew 6 years was nearly up and have confirmed with Experian that it's due to be removed the 24th July, yippee!

This is my only bad mark and I have some accounts with 4 - 5 years of good records like my mobile phone bill. I applied and got a Capital One credit card 14 months ago now to improve my credit score, and while I've paid at least the minimum back each month I have build up debt a bit higher than I'd have wanted to due to a spell of unemployment.

With my default being removed soon and my credit report should be looking clean I'm wanting to get another credit card with 0% balance transfer and save the interest.

I just want to know if technically I can do this the day after my default has been removed and they won't see a trace of it (I won't actually do this!) or if there is a recommended time someone should wait after a default removal before applying for credit.

Thanks!

Replies

• fermifermi Forumite
    40.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In theory Experian remove the entries at midnight at the end of the day which is the 6 year anniversary, and lenders checking should not see them after that point.

Other CRAs may be more tardy.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Equifax takes about a week
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    86.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    JunkUtopia wrote: »
    I applied and got a Capital One credit card 14 months ago now to improve my credit score, and while I've paid at least the minimum back each month I have build up debt a bit higher than I'd have wanted to due to a spell of unemployment.

Hopefully you've now learnt your lesson. Borrowing money per se does not guarantee a good credit rating.
    Real insurance claim quote : -

"Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.".
  • JunkUtopiaJunkUtopia Forumite
    31 Posts
    Thank you to the two who answered my question.
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Hopefully you've now learnt your lesson. Borrowing money per se does not guarantee a good credit rating.

Tbh all the sites show my credit rating has dramatically improved since having this credit card and I wouldn't have got it (or been able too) if I wasn't in a stable situation at the time, if I constantly thought that redundancy from nowhere could happen then I'd never spend a penny on anything.

It's not like I owe ten grand and have no chance of paying it back, I'm just thinking I may as well take advantage of the balance transfer now thats a option for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News