Opodo extra charge

Replies

• firefox1956firefox1956 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    CM66 wrote: »
    I just don't understand what benefit you would gain from booking Ryanair flights through Opodo and not directly? Have i missed something?

But annoying for you either way!

I was wondering the same myself !!
    But thought I was being a bit thick!!!
  • I was wondering the same myself !!
    But thought I was being a bit thick!!!

I explained above.
  • tomtontomtomtontom
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    irfenton wrote: »
    Barclays were really helpful (5* service - the advisors were brilliant!) and are sending out a chargeback form. Trading Standards said they would investigate this & complaints of DCC directly on the Ryanair web site if more people came forward with similar complaints. The CAA said they would step in if no joy from Ryanair Customer Services. Both Trading Standards & CAA stated that in the first case I need to formally write to Ryanair. I'm sure when I write to Ryanair they will simply state that Opodo have quoted the wrong price & I guess that's where it gets tricky. I'll let you know how it pans out.

I can't see why they are referring you to Ryanair. Opodo quoted you a price, Opodo charged you too much. I'd hope Barclays will step in, reclaiming your money from Opodo!
  • I didn't hear back from Opodo so I contacted HSBC. They immediately refunded me the £25 and said they would reclaim it from Ryan Air. They didn't even ask for my email confirmation from Opodo, but only that they will contact me if need be!
    Great.
  • tamiamitamiami Forumite
    537 Posts
    It's owed from Opodo not Ryanair, Ryanair will have been paid the exact amount for the flights.

Opodo took a £25 booking fee from you. If you had booked direct with Ryanair you wouldn't have paid it. That's how Opodo make their money.
  • jpsartrejpsartre Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    MikeR71 wrote: »
    They immediately refunded me the £25 and said they would reclaim it from Ryan Air.

I hope for you that they don't as it might lead to Ryanair cancelling your tickets or demanding that you pay the money back before you fly. What happened to you has nothing to do with Ryanair and everything to do with Opodo.
  • irfentonirfenton Forumite
    10 Posts
    Same here Mike - Ryanair sent me a standard response about how they worked there price out in Euros so Barclays are refunding the £20 and reclaiming from Ryanair but are holding off until after my flights :)
    Just a quick note - in hindsight I wouldn't book through a third party again but as already mentioned, the flight comparison sites take you through Opodo. Right through the booking process it was about £50 cheaper than direct with Ryanair - until you get to the last page when they add their fee! However, it still ended up appearing £10 cheaper so I just continued with the booking). Before people start saying it can't be cheaper than Ryanair direct I've worked out how it's done and hence the reason for both Mike's and my post. So here goes:
    If you book direct through Ryanair by default you opt to pay for the return flight in Sterling. If you do this you pay an extortionate exchange rate (the old Ryanair DCC rip-off trick). If you untick the box you pay the return flight in Euros and your bank does the conversion and you'll save £10ish per £200 of flights.
    When you book through Opodo they are pricing the flights based on the return flight being paid in Euros not Sterling. So comparing the prices Opodo is on-screen slightly cheaper. The problem is, when the flight goes through from Opodo to Ryanair - Ryanair are switching the transaction from Euros to 'Pay in Sterling' so that they can cash in on their extortionate exchange rate and hence why me & Mike both were overcharged by £20ish. So for those arguing the fault is with Opodo you're wrong - the fault is entirely with Ryanair. They are invoking the 'Pay in Sterling' for the return flight without authorisation.
    10 Posts
    So I guess the learning curve here is "Can you buy Ryanair tickets cheaper elsewhere? No - as long as you untick the two well hidden check boxes on the Ryanair web site and opt to pay for your return flights in Euros!".

How do third parties make money on Ryanair flights? They exploit the Exchange Rate rip-off that Ryanair have been practising for years - they know most of us leave the displayed price of return flights in Sterling. They know Ryanair will make £10ish per flight so they can save us a few quid and pocket £5ish for themselves. However, I'm guessing Ryanair have got wind of this and are now simply ignoring the instructions and choosing to process all third party return flights in Sterling!
  • edited 26 June 2015 at 5:23PM
    tomtontomtomtontom
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 June 2015 at 5:23PM
    irfenton wrote: »
    Same here Mike - Ryanair sent me a standard response about how they worked there price out in Euros so Barclays are refunding the £20 and reclaiming from Ryanair but are holding off until after my flights :)
    Just a quick note - in hindsight I wouldn't book through a third party again but as already mentioned, the flight comparison sites take you through Opodo. Right through the booking process it was about £50 cheaper than direct with Ryanair - until you get to the last page when they add their fee! However, it still ended up appearing £10 cheaper so I just continued with the booking). Before people start saying it can't be cheaper than Ryanair direct I've worked out how it's done and hence the reason for both Mike's and my post. So here goes:
    If you book direct through Ryanair by default you opt to pay for the return flight in Sterling. If you do this you pay an extortionate exchange rate (the old Ryanair DCC rip-off trick). If you untick the box you pay the return flight in Euros and your bank does the conversion and you'll save £10ish per £200 of flights.
    When you book through Opodo they are pricing the flights based on the return flight being paid in Euros not Sterling. So comparing the prices Opodo is on-screen slightly cheaper. The problem is, when the flight goes through from Opodo to Ryanair - Ryanair are switching the transaction from Euros to 'Pay in Sterling' so that they can cash in on their extortionate exchange rate and hence why me & Mike both were overcharged by £20ish. So for those arguing the fault is with Opodo you're wrong - the fault is entirely with Ryanair. They are invoking the 'Pay in Sterling' for the return flight without authorisation.

As you are booking with Opodo, it is for them to quote you the correct price. It is a failure in their booking system that does not mirror Ryanair's system - hence Opodo is at fault. You can't pass fault to a party that did not give you the quote in the first place.
    10 Posts
    tomtontom wrote: »
    As you are booking with Opodo, it is for them to quote you the correct price. It is a failure in their booking system that does not mirror Ryanair's system - hence Opodo is at fault. You can't pass fault to a party that did not give you the quote in the first place.

Opodo are quoting the right price based on a Euro return flight. Ryanair are choosing to ignore this. If Opodo charged the entire amount then legally you're correct. As the debit's are made by Ryanair then they are agreeing to the contract. If they don't agree with the quoted price then they should refuse to honour it. This is how the banks see it. They will invoke a chargeback on Ryanair every time.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals