Prepaids: Pockit or Kalixa?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
8 replies 2.7K views
greensaladgreensalad Forumite
1.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I want to get a pre-paid card to help control my spending. I'm trying to pay off the overdraft on my current account so I want to transfer out a weekly budget onto a pre-paid and use it just for general day-to-day transactions until my OD is cleared.

I purchased a Pockit card at the grand total of 99p after seeing it on MSE. However, now it's arrived and I've done a bit of googling it has TERRIBLE reviews. 1.2 out of 5 stars on Google and everyone has talked about how awful it is, run by a one-man-band and terrible customer service.

So, does anyone have one? Anyone had good experiences with either Pockit or Kalixa or another type of card?

Replies

• ilikewatchilikewatch Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    I use Ffrees who operate a pseudo bank account with a Visa debit card. There's a choice of different account types including one with no monthly fee. I've been very happy with the account features and customer service I have received.
  • ilikewatchilikewatch Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    adindas wrote: »
    For some people who could get major stream CC, the pre-paid Creditcard is used to purchase item from a less reputable companies (e.g gambling /!!!!!! sites, suspected bogus companies, etc). This will make it almost impossible to take money more than value you have put in the pre-paid card.

Linking it to Debit card or Current account will negate the benefit of having pre-paid CC as you could just buy it using your debitcard so no need to have this ...

I fail to see how a ffrees account is much different to any other prepaid card? - it's prepaid, can't go overdrawn, doesn't report to CRA's etc. etc.

The main difference is that it allows you to transfer money to other accounts and operate standing orders as well as using the Visa card.
  • PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH INFORMATION ON THE ORANGE CASH CARD ??????????
    Ive been searching this site for over a week for anyone writing about problems with the orange cash card as i am but nothing.
    Is anyone having problems with the points reward scheme etc. etc. money being 'mislaid' and points going 'missing'.
    I feel i may be the only one !!!!
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    anjooooo wrote: »
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH INFORMATION ON THE ORANGE CASH CARD ??????????
    Ive been searching this site for over a week for anyone writing about problems with the orange cash card as i am but nothing.
    Is anyone having problems with the points reward scheme etc. etc. money being 'mislaid' and points going 'missing'.
    Mine works fine. Have you called them? You could start a new thread with your exact problems and attempts to resolve them clearly explained.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • AnthornAnthorn Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    greensalad wrote: »
    I want to get a pre-paid card to help control my spending. I'm trying to pay off the overdraft on my current account so I want to transfer out a weekly budget onto a pre-paid and use it just for general day-to-day transactions until my OD is cleared.

I purchased a Pockit card at the grand total of 99p after seeing it on MSE. However, now it's arrived and I've done a bit of googling it has TERRIBLE reviews. 1.2 out of 5 stars on Google and everyone has talked about how awful it is, run by a one-man-band and terrible customer service.

So, does anyone have one? Anyone had good experiences with either Pockit or Kalixa or another type of card?

I have a Pockit card after dumping the Kalixa following their re-organisation and no problems with it loading and spending. The problem I had is that in order to change my address I had to send them ID and I sent my bank statement and following that they did a full-blown credit search according to Equifax without informing me.

The problem I had with Kalixa was a held amount due to an unclaimed debit which was never returned to my account. I put it down to a fault due to their re-organisation. So dumped. Once bitten, a thousand times shy.
  • greensaladgreensalad Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I've ended up going with an Orange card now, even though I'm sure Pockit would have been fine. Mainly because the Orange card is contactless.

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a Kalixa one for paying for websites that im not quite sure about, I also got my daughter one as an emergency card. The card was free through a link moneysupermarket maybe?

So no £5 fee for the card, Free to topup direct from my bank and no charges to spend. But they do charge for cashpoint use so not ideal to draw money from.

Works out well when buying stuff in euro's though, Ordered some stuff from outside the UK and it worked out cheaper to buy it in euro's.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• edited 30 May 2015 at 4:21PM
    alanqalanq Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 May 2015 at 4:21PM
    anjooooo wrote: »
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH INFORMATION ON THE ORANGE CASH CARD ??????????
    eDicky wrote: »
    You could start a new thread with your exact problems and attempts to resolve them clearly explained.

I have responded in a new thread.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=68500184#post68500184
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals