Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Organic food in supermarkets - Page 287

New Post Advanced Search

Organic food in supermarkets

edited 10 October 2012 at 7:25PM in Gone Off!
2.9K replies 227K views

Replies

• KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^ prices at A&C are getting ridiculous, they just stated they can't compete with the large retailers... but sure they are more expensive on dried items than local indie org shops.. I've had to start shopping around more and my A&C orders are now minimal. Still using them for some veg as just can't buy the stuff where I am without going out of my way.

Morrisons seem to have stopped stocking the Crazy Jack dried fruit :(
  • EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Abel & Cole has been owned by William Jackson Group since 2012. Although the group also owns Aunt Betty's, My Fresh, a bakery and a pub, it's a 6th generation family business.

That probably does mean that it can't get compete with Waitrose in terms of economies of scale and discounts from manufacturers and wholesalers.

I buy all my organic eggs and milk from A&C plus the more exotic organic fruit & veg I'm not able to get from Ocado & Sainsbury's.

I always buy my Christmas food from A&C. As long as I order before the deadlines and as early as poss, I get everything, no subs. Plus I object to an annual SmartPass from Ocado not including Christmas Week !

You're absolutely right about the prices of the average veg at A&C.

Two organic red bell peppers are 3.80 at A&C. Two organic bell peppers (colours vary) from Ocado 2.09 Two organic romano peppers Waitrose/Ocado 1.99 are 2.85 at A&C.
    9.2K posts
    A study says that organic milk has less iodine because it's not added to milk whereas it is in the conventional stuff.

Firstly, who knew that conventional milk had iodine added because hello, not labelled.

The article says that to get the same amount of iodine as in a pint of conventional you'd need to drink an extra half-pint BUT the Guardian piece also points out that there are other foods containing iodine so drinking organic milk doesn't necessarily make you-iodine deficient.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/apr/28/organic-and-uht-milk-could-put-unborn-babies-at-risk

So here is stuff about iodine from NHS

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Iodine.aspx

If you're eating wild fish and seafood you're probably fine.

Bit of a non-story really.
  • dlusmandlusman Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edwardia wrote: »

Firstly, who knew that conventional milk had iodine added because hello, not labelled.

It isnt labelled because ( according to the article in the Guardian you quoted ) it isnt added to the milk - It is added to the feed given to the cattle. None of the multitude of stuff added to cattle feed is ever given on a milk label
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Soil Assoc put a statement out on it yesterday ^

and for veggies/vegans:
    Iodine forms part of the thyroid hormones necessary for maintaining metabolic rate, thermoregualtion, protein synthesis and connective tissue integrity. The major source of iodine is milk but it also found in beer, lager, cereal and cereal products, sea salt and edible seaweeds such as nori and kombu.

Re: A&C prices - when I last compared with Riverford there was quite a difference on price.. and when first using A&C their prices were better on a lot of things i.e. even butter than the supermarkets.
    9.2K posts
    Soil Association says organic milk warnings are scaremongering
    http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/buying-and-supplying/health/organic-milk-warnings-are-scaremongering-says-soil-association/517700.article

It says farmers are giving organic cows feed with iodine since end of last year.
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why they started putting that in the feed again?

As for Tesco, they are (annoyingly as I don't like or use them hardly ever) a stockist of quite a range of products and seem to have taken on some veggie/vegan ranges exclusively. I wonder if they will start to delist more of those and organic stuff then...

I'm after dried apricots again - don't want to pay A&C prices, Morrisons don't have any organic now they've stopped the CJ ones and Waitrose only stock the soft organic ones which are too soggy for my liking, Sainsbury's didn't have any on the shelf the other week.
  • edited 30 April 2015 at 12:03AM
    EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    edited 30 April 2015 at 12:03AM
    I looked at Holland & Barrett online 400g bags of Neal's Yard Wholefoods unsulphured dried apricots are 7.89 !! Those aren't even organic.

According to https://www.mysupermarket.co.uk Sainsbury's has organic dried apricots and organic soft apricots, both of which are £4 for 250g. Waitrose and Ocado both have Waitrose Organic Love Life ready to eat soft dried apricots 4.60 for 250g.

Ocado has Crazy Jack's organic traditional dried apricots 4.19 for 250g and soft dried apricots 4.49 for 250g.

if they don't have to be dried, Ocado has Daylesford organic apricot compote 3.50 for 350g, Daylesford organic apricot nectar 2.10 for 250ml and Elite natiral 100% organic apricot juice 4.49 currently on 2 for 1 offer. Clearspring organic apple and apricot puree 2 x 100g is 1.29 at both Waitrose and Ocado.

If you were wanting to stir apricots into organic natural yogurt you could check ingredients on Hipp organic apricot and apple dessert - yes baby food so should be pretty darn clean - £1 from Ocado and Tesco for a 100g jar and currently 10 jars for £6 at Teco.

I don't like feed/product additives because they assume that people don't eat food with several sources of the nutrient. For example, I eat fish and seafood as well as wild samphire so I'd get quite a bit of iodine from that and also use sea salt or Himalayan pink salt with natural minerals.
    9.2K posts
    Sainsbury's SO organic home on their website with FAQs and details of all own brand organic food
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/get-ideas/features/own-label-so-organic
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support