»

MPGS - What's it Like?? - Page 17

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

MPGS - What's it Like??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
166 replies 89.1K views
1111213141517»

Replies

• My experience is similar to many others on here. I applied last December, did all the paperwork at the AFCO, then the Sgt Major dealing with me was made redundant. The new guy didn't seem interested. When I phoned in the spring and summer I was told both times to wait, or to ring some civvies in Wiltshire, who then told me to go back and ring the AFCO. It's been a year now, and nobody seems to know what's going on. Very disheartening.
  • I'm currently serving in the MPGS. I would highly recommend this job to any ex-serving forces.
    2014...Won a pizza so far
  • suvla_2suvla_2 Forumite
    59 posts
    I know mobs on our base have it tabs out , they work 4 days on , 4 days off (12hr shifts) think it works out nicely with leave as well take 4 days off and you've bagged nearly two weeks off hoofin for a job with little responsibility other than checking ID cards vehicle searches and camp searches I tHink not a bad wage at all still get to use gym and all the med bay dento etc still not bad I thinks good away to wind down or a nice quiet life
    #1799 sealed moneypot challenge- target £500 s/f £378
    currently saved £4500 target 10k :money:
  • I am a serving SNCO and, with my 24 year exit point looming all to large on the horizon, I am naturally considering my employment options 'on the other side'. The MPGS is certainly an avenue to explore, but I seem to be unable to find much in the way of information on pensions. My specific concerns are:
    • Would I still receieve my lump sum on leaving, if I were to transfer straight across to the MPGS? As they are still part of the Army, would I be regarded as not having left? My motivation for a direct transfer would be to hopefully avoid the lengthy application delays I have read about elsewhere on this thread.
    • Noting the above, would I be better leaving in the normal manner, then applying to rejoin a few weeks down the line but risking the aforementioned delays?
    • Would I be required to surrender my lump sum if rejoining, effectively rendering the second point moot?
    • Would I receive my monthly pension in addition to my MPGS salary, or would I be ineligible due to still being employed by the Army?
    My apologies for all the questions, but I have always found it pays to thoroughly research something before jumping in!
  • I am a serving SNCO and, with my 24 year exit point looming all to large on the horizon, I am naturally considering my employment options 'on the other side'. The MPGS is certainly an avenue to explore, but I seem to be unable to find much in the way of information on pensions. My specific concerns are:
    • Would I still receieve my lump sum on leaving, if I were to transfer straight across to the MPGS? As they are still part of the Army, would I be regarded as not having left? My motivation for a direct transfer would be to hopefully avoid the lengthy application delays I have read about elsewhere on this thread.
    • Noting the above, would I be better leaving in the normal manner, then applying to rejoin a few weeks down the line but risking the aforementioned delays?
    • Would I be required to surrender my lump sum if rejoining, effectively rendering the second point moot?
    • Would I receive my monthly pension in addition to my MPGS salary, or would I be ineligible due to still being employed by the Army?
    My apologies for all the questions, but I have always found it pays to thoroughly research something before jumping in!

Im not sure, do you have an RCMO?? I know for a fact there's a long backlog at the moment of over 500 people waiting to join...so it's not easy these days. They're getting more picky about who they let in, quite rightly!
  • Andyjr86 wrote: »
    I'm currently serving in the MPGS. I would highly recommend this job to any ex-serving forces.

Where are u based mate?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support