Unlock my pension to invest in my retirement B&B

Can I take my civil service /mod pension and invest it into a B&B for me to run/own when I reach 55

Replies

• jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    mark911 wrote: »
    Can I take my civil service /mod pension and invest it into a B&B for me to run/own when I reach 55

The Civil Service pension is a Defined Benefit scheme which will allow a tax-free lump sum and monthly pension. You will be able to take a maximum of 25% tax free although this is unlikely to be your best option as the index-linked pension is very valuable.

You will also lose about 25% of your pension by taking it 5 years early - assuming your normal retirement date is age 60.
  • AegisAegis Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No, a B&B would count as residential property and therefore not be a permitted investment within a pension.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • atushatush Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It would be unwise in the extreme. Instead, sell your house you live in, and use that to buy a B&B when you retire and use your pension to live on when the B&B doesn't give the income you require.

And if it should give you the income you require, put some of that income into a new DC pension.
  • Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    Forumite
    No. The changes to pension rules allowing you to draw it all out as cash specifically do not apply to the unfunded public sector schemes of which the CS scheme is one.
  • kidmugsykidmugsy Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    atush wrote: »
    Instead, sell your house you live in, and use that to buy a B&B

If one also took a mortgage on the B&B, the interest would presumably be an allowable expense against income for tax purposes, would it?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • atushatush Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Forumite
    I would think so, like any business
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Help for Welsh households on benefits

£200 to help with energy bills

MSE News

Income tax calculator