remortgage question

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
10 replies 975 views
Mrs_LMrs_L Forumite
319 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
Hi, we had a fixed mortgage which ended in 2012, we have been on the variable rate since as we had some arrears as being on the variable rate was nearly £200 a month lower, we kept our payments the same until the arrears were cleared, this took 10 months. We have had no arrears with our mortgage for nearly 2 years but we do have lots of other debt which we are currently paying off through a debt management plan.
Since we last remortgaged we have both had job changes and our income is significantly lower hence the debt problems.
I know that we will not get a new mortgage through a new provider but is it worth me contacting our current provider to see if they can offer us a new fixed rate?
Our current joint guaranteed income is approx. £1700 and we have just over £90,000 on our mortgage.
We can manage the payments we make now which is £589 well but I worry that interest rates will at some point start rising and don't want to be in a position where we can't afford to pay.
My question is if I approach my current lender do I have any chance of being sold a new product?

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals