MSE News: Virgin Media customers to be hit with 5.9% price rise from February

in Phones & TV
255 replies 44K views

Replies

• latecomerlatecomer Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've missed or put off a couple of calls from the guy in rententions and he hasn't phoned for a few days. starting to get slightly nervous as I dont really want to have to explain to my 4 year old why all his recorded TV programs are no longer available :D
  • latecomerlatecomer Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got the call from retentions and have agreed a deal. Couldn't get any cheaper than the previous offer but did manage to get Caller display added for free.

Deal is :

TV M
    BB 50Mb
    Phone - anytime calls with multi-talk 1000
    Caller ID
    6 months Netflix
    £30 per month including line rental and includes price rise due next month. Asked about line rental saver but was told I couldn't have that as technically they have given me free line rental for the contract.

12 Month contract

Hope that helps someone else with their negotiations :)
  • phatbearphatbear Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    just got off of the phone with retentions and the best they could do was to not put the price up so sky here i come
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • Geordie_bearGeordie_bear Forumite
    539 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    phatbear wrote: »
    just got off of the phone with retentions and the best they could do was to not put the price up so sky here i come
    It's a classic bluff, they tried that with me don't worry they will phone back just pretend sky have offered 12 months half price & you're going with them! :beer:
  • teggsteggs Forumite
    10 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    i took the plunge and cancelled
  • ryan92ryan92 Forumite
    547 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I went through with the cancellation too... was paying £59 for ;

120mb Broadband
    Talk Weekends
    TV XL (for a bedroom)

Already have Sky Family with Movies and 2 multiroom boxes for £40 and the odd pence. I know the speeds are going to be massively different but I've jumped to Sky Broadband for £9.99 a month plus £115 cashback.

Doing the maths that's £119.88 for the year so minus the cashback that's £4.88 for the year ; Just 40p a month for my talk weekends and unlimited broadband.... saving myself £58.60 with my package from Virgin cancelled :p
    :staradmin LIGHTBULB MOMENT ;11th September 2019 :staradmin
  • Hi, I would like to give a massive thank you to the MSE forum.

I made a minor amendment to my contract with Virgin in April last year. At no stage was any mention made of a new contract. So when I went to cancel earlier this month they attempted to charge me a £160 early disconnection fee. Having been with them for 5 years I was very unimpressed.

Thanks to this forum and this thread, today I was able to cancel for free and got a £69 refund. I am totally stoked!!!!

Thank you all very much!
  • tasha42tasha42 Forumite
    17 Posts
    I was wondering if people think I am not getting a good deal I have been with Virgin for nearly 10 years now and this is what we currently get

Premiere Collection
    Talk Evening and Weekends
    Calldispl
    TV Size: X L
    1 Added Set Top Box
    TiVo
    Broadband XL (Up To 60mb)

Currently £65.59 after price increase it be £73.59

I called yesterday at first spoke to a very rude man who said there was nothing he can do so I put the phone down tried again like Martin says :-). This time spoke to a much nicer lady who did say she could do the below.

£59.00 a month for the first 6 months but then it would go up to £67.59 after that :-(.

I don't think thats is very good I know I can get cheaper with BT and talk talk. Do I now cancel and hope some one from retentions calls us back? I would like to stay with virgin as I use my email address with them (which I am now moving all stuff to my free gmail) but also all my sons favourite films are recorded on our box.

Thank you
    April 2017 Credit Card Debit £2234
  • den169den169 Forumite
    278 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I rang and cancelled mine last week.They gave me a deal 6 months back and told me it would be that price for 12 months there just liars.They just offered to credit my account the £4.69 a month for the rest of the contract but i said no cancel.I'll see what retentions come back with.
  • sujmansujman Forumite
    565 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    tasha42 wrote: »
    I was wondering if people think I am not getting a good deal I have been with Virgin for nearly 10 years now and this is what we currently get

Premiere Collection
    Talk Evening and Weekends
    Calldispl
    TV Size: X L
    1 Added Set Top Box
    TiVo
    Broadband XL (Up To 60mb)

Currently £65.59 after price increase it be £73.59

I called yesterday at first spoke to a very rude man who said there was nothing he can do so I put the phone down tried again like Martin says :-). This time spoke to a much nicer lady who did say she could do the below.

£59.00 a month for the first 6 months but then it would go up to £67.59 after that :-(.

I don't think thats is very good I know I can get cheaper with BT and talk talk. Do I now cancel and hope some one from retentions calls us back? I would like to stay with virgin as I use my email address with them (which I am now moving all stuff to my free gmail) but also all my sons favourite films are recorded on our box.

Thank you

I get below currently for £59.99 (before price rise)

Talk Weekends
    TV Size: XL
    1 Additional V Box
    V+ HD Monthly Fee
    TiVo Monthly Fee
    Broadband Size: XL (Up To 100mb)
    Line rental

Yet to ring for a better price but last coupe years they've hardly moved and I couldn't get a better package from sky
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides