Jewellery making anyone??

in Crafting
746 replies 81.4K views

Replies

• shegirlshegirl Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Bluebell68 wrote: »
    Hi
    when I make polymer clay beads I want to put silver 925 inserts in them do I cook the inserts with the clay?
    or do I put it in after
    thank you

What type of inserts?
    If women are birds and freedom is flight are trapped women Dodos?
  • Bluebell68Bluebell68 Forumite
    162 Posts
    I maybe using the wrong word they are 925 silver
    I am making my niece a bracelet I have the silver bracelet and lots of diff col polymer clay

I will make the beads hole in middle I want to put inserts? the core? 925 middle things
    Before or after I bake them? I hope im making sense

oh my word I apologise for not remembering correct name its down to Neurological illness

Good luck Shegirl im sure you will make it a success
    sorry for my ramblings
    the word is on tip of my tongue no good their is it lol
    Secrets And Lies Destroy Lives
  • cazmanian_minxcazmanian_minx Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, you're making Pandora-style beads? They're called cores I think. Sterling silver melts at around 900C, so you should be okay to bake the clay with them in, assuming it's oven-baked and you're not kilning it.
    Home: 06/08: £145,145.00 Currently: £106,249.36 Amount paid off: £38,895.64 (26.8%)
    Ethel's: 05/18: £99,000.00 Currently: £99,000.00 Amount paid off: £0 (0.0%)
    Tor: 05/18: £82,500.00 Currently: £82,500.00 Amount paid off: £0 (0.0%)
    Debt-free: 17/02/2017
  • SallyUKSallyUK Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Morning Shegirl

Are you still in touch with the friend who imports from India?

Good luck on your new project!

Sal
    x

shegirl wrote: »
    Hello ladies!

Been making jewellery for a few years on and off,one of my true hobbies.It is expensive though!However,resetting up my business (previously to cover hobby costs only) well,because I can lol and it is fun and shall have my mini workshop ready to go soon :) Lots of planning though if I'm going to do it properly.I want to but whether I will is a different matter lol

Anyway,aswell as beading,which is where I started (semi precious mainly),I also do precious metal clay,sheet metal (silver and copper) using various tools and basic 'silversmithing' (untaught),wire work including links,precious and semi precious stone setting and occasional polymer.Looking into glass fusion and glass clay with microwave killing if poss,problem is I can't do it in the house with my parrot so would need to use lean to utility at the least and it's not very big lol*sighs*

Thankfully my 'business name' reflects my range of materials and styles lol

Be warned,jewellery making can be seriously addictive.Shop around too!When I first started making I spent hundreds on beads then a friend started shipping semi precious beads in from India at crazy low prices!!!

Funny thing though,I love making jewellery and designing it but I'm not really a jewellery wearer!
  • Bluebell68Bluebell68 Forumite
    162 Posts
    Ah, you're making Pandora-style beads? They're called cores I think. Sterling silver melts at around 900C, so you should be okay to bake the clay with them in, assuming it's oven-baked and you're not kilning it.

thank you
    take care
    Secrets And Lies Destroy Lives
  • Gold_Dust_2Gold_Dust_2 Forumite
    471 Posts
    ✭✭
    I'm baaaack!

This jewellery beast has got me firmly in it's grip, and I'm loving it. My creations go wrong more often than not, but when it goes right it's breathtaking!

I'm running out of funds, though. :( A lot of people have been commenting on my stuff and how they'd buy it if they saw it in shops, so I was thinking of selling some of my stuff for the funds to keep going. I am just planning to sell on etsy, but if I wanted to sell at craft fairs, what would I have to do to get setup? Has anybody got any advice or tips for me, or a link to some info, please?

I most recently made a necklace for my boss who's leaving, can't wait to give it to her. I am besotted with it, so it'll be hard to part with! :D
  • Gold_Dust_2Gold_Dust_2 Forumite
    471 Posts
    ✭✭
    Does anybody know a good source for large gem tumble stones? My friend would like a large necklace and I just can't seem to find large enough stones.
  • Gold_Dust wrote: »
    Those are beautiful!

I'm so glad that I found this thread, I am painfully aware of how important an expert's advice is when trying something of the sort. My question is: I want to try jewellery making but not invest heavily - is this kit good enough to give me a taste of it?

Thank you!

Just come across this! That's my kit I'm selling on ebay, hope you like it and got the bug! Be careful as it can become quite addictive :T
  • SallyUKSallyUK Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Everyone

Just wondered how you're all getting on and if you're all still addicted to making lovely things?!

Sal
    Xx
  • I'd love to start a mini jewellery shop in etsy or something. Just to cover costs or help fund future craft projects.

Still learning the ropes but I'd like to improve my wire wrapping and try out metal clay. Just need a good place to get the tools and supplies. Also would anyone know if it's best to practice on cheaper clay first?
    [STRIKE]Career development loan (03/11/12) £4500[/STRIKE] Cleared 2.5 years early, saving £390 :D
    House Deposit Goal - 15/15k
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides